Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

certificate; written file
paper
ambivalence
document
calendar
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I was graduated vs I graduated

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
All kinds of sport in English | Can I say I am impatient to ask someone for something?
listening exercisestell a friend
I was graduated vs I graduated #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:18 pm   I was graduated vs I graduated

Hi,

I heard someone with excellent command of English said "I was graduated from...". I have the impression this is incorrect so I am a little confused. Can we actually say this?

Many thanks,
Cantik

I was graduated vs I graduated #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 13:10 pm   I was graduated vs I graduated

Hi Cantik

The passive "I was graduated from" version is old-fashioned. It is not used nearly as often as the active "I graduated from" version. The American Heritage Dictionary provides good usage information and background about the verb "graduate":
Quote:
The verb graduate has denoted the action of conferring an academic degree or diploma since at least 1421. Accordingly, the action of receiving a degree should be expressed in the passive, as in She was graduated from Yale in 1998. This use is still current, if old-fashioned, and is acceptable to 78 percent of the Usage Panel. In general usage, however, it has largely yielded to the much more recent active pattern (first attested in 1807): She graduated from Yale in 1998. Eighty-nine percent of the Panel accepts this use. It has the advantage of ascribing the accomplishment to the student, rather than to the institution, which is usually appropriate in discussions of individual students. When the institution's responsibility is emphasized, however, the older pattern may still be recommended. A sentence such as The university graduated more computer science majors in 1997 than in the entire previous decade stresses the university's accomplishment, say, of its computer science program. On the other hand, the sentence More computer science majors graduated in 1997 than in the entire previous decade implies that the class of 1997 was in some way a remarkable group. •The Usage Panel feels quite differently about the use of graduate to mean “to receive a degree from,” as in She graduated Yale in 1998. Seventy-seven percent object to this usage.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/G0214600.html

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I was graduated vs I graduated #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 13:52 pm   I was graduated vs I graduated

Oh, thanks Amy. Now I know it was just my ignorance. :oops:

I was graduated vs I graduated #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 15:06 pm   I was graduated vs I graduated

Quote:
Now I know it was just my ignorance.

Not at all, Cantik! You've probably always heard/read the version of that sentence that is typical in modern English -- and that's the active version. Your question was a perfectly valid one.

I was graduated vs I graduated #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 15:10 pm   I was graduated vs I graduated

Thanks again, Amy. I am so glad I asked. :)

All kinds of sport in English | Can I say I am impatient to ask someone for something?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
This might come between us?so-so, so far so goodDivy or divvy?"He said, you have been updating" - Wrong?Phrase "Your code fails" - is this correct?"I won't log into your Machine (workstation), until you call me".what should be my next course of act?for me vs. to meSubject and predicateWhat does "bradley effect" mean?Confusing words: Brush, rinse, scrub, sweep or wipe?Which word does 'entities' refer to meaning of 'for the grant of such privileges''I am the one who dress in blue' or 'I am the one who dressed in blue'?