to segregate; to set apart; to split; to divide; to disconnect
separate
regulate
expel
pipe

Where does the English Language come from?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

American and British humour | Thousands of subscribers are already signing up...
Where does the English Language come from? #1 (permalink) Fri May 06, 2005 7:35 am   Where does the English Language come from?

Where does the English Language come from? i have asked this question many times. can you supply me any information about this topic or just show me any links concerning about this, please.
Abumashal

Location: Saudi arabia

History of the English language #2 (permalink) Fri May 06, 2005 9:54 am   History of the English language

Most English words have come from four other languages: Anglo-Saxon, French, Latin and Ancient Greek. The language spoken in Britain in the first century B.C. would have been a Celtic language, similar to the Gaelic languages that are still spoken today in Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Brittany in northwest France. During the first century A.D. Britain was ruled by the Romans, who brought with them their own language, Latin. Celts and Romans lived together and their two languages probably influenced each other for the next 300 years. If you have read the comic books about Asterix the Gaul, you will know something about this period in France.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The cycle race

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Where does the English Language come from? #3 (permalink) Fri May 06, 2005 16:39 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

Thank you Torsten for you clarification. But what about the grammatical points?
Abumashal

Location: Saudi arabia

Language #4 (permalink) Sat May 07, 2005 8:53 am   Language

To make a long story short, it is the modern version of old West German. Angles, Saxons and Jutes, the sea robber races, reached and settled on the eastern shores of England. The combination of the languages spoken by them came to be called the Anglo-saxon or the Old English.upto 1100AD. 1100-1300 or so Middle English. With Chaucer the Modern English period starts.
The present day English has undergone a lot of changes and the most important being the effect of the conquering of England by the Prince of Normandy or Orange? This is called the war of Hastings, which occurred in the year 1066. From that time French became the royal language. Because of the abolition of Manorial system and other things that ocurred many new words entered the Language and people, in general became literate. Religion gave a lot of Latin words. The influence of the Romance languages on English is a great one. English scholars appreciated the Classics and that paved way for many Greek and Latin words and phrases to enter the language. Learning English was looked down upon even by the English in England and it was left to the Great Churchill who made learning English compulsory even in England.
Refer to F.T.Wood 'History of English Language or A.C. Ward for better and correct information.
narayanan.
Narayanan Krishnaswamy

Location: Coimbatore, India

Grammar #5 (permalink) Sat May 07, 2005 16:56 pm   Grammar

Grammar of a laguage is the essence taken out of its literature. Usage defines grammar. But some points about grammar of English could be found in e or j mutation and the great vowel change.
There have been grammarians right through the ages and they define the changes that occur from time to time. To-day we find 'Sraffs' or 'datas' accepted by The Oxford Dictionary. 'Will' has lost its specialized use and has become the word to denote 'future.' We find 'shall' used only in questions.
So changes are normal and at the persent time recording has become easy and the IT field has made incorporating such changes very easy, and has also added to its vocabulary.
So the grammar of no language remains static.
Narayanan Krishnaswamy

Location: Coimbatore, India

Where does the English Language come from? #6 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 11:02 am   Where does the English Language come from?

There's also the Viking contribution- the mingling of Saxon and Viking, followed by the Norman invasion bringing French and Latin are the four main components. :D
Tdol

Location: Phnom Penh

Book recommend #7 (permalink) Wed Aug 03, 2005 17:04 pm   Book recommend

Hi, I have just recommended a book called "The Adventure of English", maybe you have already seen the message in the index.
If you want to know the whole history of the English language, this is the right book for you!
Have fun!
Esl Learner

Where does the English Language come from? #8 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 20:20 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

abumashal wrote:

English come from the Saxons/Norms, who invaded Britain the 10th/11th/12th Century. The Saxon language come from Indo / Asia from the sanskrits.

So English comes from Sanskrits, some European scholars will fail to mention this!
Rkr

Where does the English Language come from? #9 (permalink) Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:05 am   Where does the English Language come from?

What you had originally, as mentioned above, was a combination of Germanic dialects from Northern Germany, present-day Holland and western Denmark that combined one way or another to form what was called Anglo-Saxon, the basis of English. Originally, it had a lot of case inflection on the words and articles, as German still does today, but these were gradually lost, and the word order got more rigid as a result. Then the Norman French (the descendants of Vikings) invaded in 1066 and ruled England for 300 years, during which time the royalty spoke French and the ordinary people spoke Anglo-Saxon (English).

A lot of the grammar and vocabulary of standard English were formed in the 15th century by the owners of the first printing presses. There were so many dialects of English that a book printed in one local dialect would not be understood elsewhere. For this reason, the printers created a sort of mixed dialect whose grammar and vocabulary would be understood in most parts of England. This form of English was nobody's native dialect, but it became the basis of today's standard English. Printers were also instrumental in expanding the English vocabulary. To put it in modern terms, in order to stay in business and keep selling books, they needed "content", just as TV stations need today. The fastest way to get this was to translate foreign books -- often in Latin -- into English. The printers had a problem, because this literature contained a lot of concepts that English had no words for. Sometimes the printers coined new English words, but they very frequently just used the Latin words, and this greatly expanded the English vocabulary.

One piece of misinformation above is that the modern English period started with Chaucer. The writer was mistaken. Chaucer belonged to the Middle English period.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, some intellectuals started tampering with the grammar of English, trying to make it conform to the rules of Latin or of mathematics. This resulted in some rules that were and still are very unnatural to English, and that have caused problems for many native English speakers. Most of these rules are dying out now, because people largely continued to talk in the old way.

Where does the English Language come from? #10 (permalink) Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 am   Where does the English Language come from?

And it's worth noting that this 'tampering with the grammar of English' and trying to make it conform to Latin has caused a lot of pain to schoolchildren over the centuries even up to my time at school! A perfect example of 'Latin' English can be found in John Milton's epic 'Paradise Lost'. After all Milton (1608-1674) was Latin Secretary to Oliver Cromwell.

_________________

Where does the English Language come from? #11 (permalink) Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am   Where does the English Language come from?

The main problems it causes are:

1. Insisting that "who" always has to be "whom" when it's the object of a sentence. This results in sentences like, "Whom do you want to see?" which are unnatural and go against native speakers' intuition.

2. Insisting that prepositions can never be at the end of a sentence. So according to such grammar you would have to say, "To whom did you give the book?" instead of, "Who did you give the book to?" The first one sounds terrible to many native speakers, and we would never say it, but when we say the sentence the natural way (the second way), we always have creeping doubts about its correctness.

Where does the English Language come from? #12 (permalink) Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:25 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

Here is the true orgin of the language: http://www.danshort.com/ie/ - Indus Valley
Rkr

Where does the English Language come from? #13 (permalink) Tue Mar 25, 2008 13:36 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

Jamie (K) wrote:
A lot of the grammar and vocabulary of standard English were formed in the 15th century by the owners of the first printing presses. There were so many dialects of English that a book printed in one local dialect would not be understood elsewhere. For this reason, the printers created a sort of mixed dialect whose grammar and vocabulary would be understood in most parts of England. This form of English was nobody's native dialect, but it became the basis of today's standard English.

An other reason for the mingling of dialects can be seen in vagrant sturdy beggars. In the early days of the Tudor Period (late 15th century), Henry VII passed a law that made it unlawful for vagabonds to stay longer than 3 days and 3 nights in one place. This Poor Law was passed in 1495 and coincided with the early days of printing. So when the sturdy beggars moved from town to town and eventually submerged in London, their different dialects had created a jargon that was called canting. Naturally, canting contained elements from all kinds of English regions.

Here you can read more about sturdy beggars.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Where does the English Language come from? #14 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 19:02 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

which came first:

Scandinavian tongues (Swedish/Norwegian/Danish and their ancestors)

or

German (and its ancestors, as spoken by northern Germanic tribes)

did one predate/influence the other?
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

Where does the English Language come from? #15 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 20:56 pm   Where does the English Language come from?

I am afraid all of them are bloody Germans except Germans themselves , because Germans are now more Italians then Germans.

If you take all population of Europe , you would find that 80% of us would be originating from just
8 or 9 very very old female ancestors. Our common DNA features (or we may call these DNA tricks) are without any pity for politics or religions believes.

Jan - the Master of negligence.
Jan

Location: At sea

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Fast quiz! I have some fears that the petrol will dry in the year 2020...Unnamed... He - a clever, thoughtful, shy and still a kiddish boy was living...The Price of Fame.What is important for speaking? Either grammar rules or fluency?Mr. Turner.How much is the time to learn English?The Midnight Watchman.What books I need to prepare myself for MCHE tests?Hi, I am Beulah from India. I am working as a software developer...I got my results (Electronics and communication - ECE)The Office.Prostitution must be legalizedI really worry. (quarter infinitive?)