pressing; compelling; immediate; prompt
mediocre
own
uncertain
urgent

Left to my own devices?

How to translate suck it up in this sentence? | What does jinx mean?
Left to my own devices? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 21:57 pm   Left to my own devices?

"What would I be doing? Well, if ......... to my own devices, I would be reading a book in the woods," Private Johnson to Specialist Bilby.

(a) trapped
(b) left
(c) chained
(d) partial

"What would I be doing? Well, if left to my own devices, I would be reading a book in the woods," Private Johnson to Specialist Bilby.

Correct answer: (b) left

"What would I be doing? Well, if chained to my own devices, I would be reading a book in the woods," Private Johnson to Specialist Bilby.
_________________________

if left to my own devices - how to understand this sentence?
Xavierka

Left to my own devices? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:54 pm   Left to my own devices?

Hi Xavierka

The expression "leave someone to their own devices" means "allow someone to make their own decisions about what to do".

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=leave*6+1&dict=A
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Left to my own devices? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:58 pm   Left to my own devices?

Hi Torsten

There seems to be a word missing from the sentence. An easy repair would be with the word "said" -- though I have no idea whether that was the word originally intended (and a different word could be more interesting):

"... in the woods," Private Johnson said to Specialist Bilby."
.
_________________

Meaning of "nerd and wimp"Can't you leave well enough alone = don't mention the thing again?surrendered vs. desertedIt was a direct consequence of his failure?What does 'benched' mean?What is the difference between 'bug me' and 'tug me'?What are knock-down drag out fights?When do you use management and Management?meaning of lackKnock your socks off? What does that mean?How to understand "Knock the pins out from"?What's the knee-jerk reaction?What is the difference between rely on and trust me?