to put to practical use; to take advantage of
acquire
introduce
utilize
observe

Difference between operate, function and work

Meaning of "Offset" | Bite your tongue
Difference between operate, function and work #1 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 9:35 am   Difference between operate, function and work

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", question 4

I suppose as we live in a very rural area, we are lucky that a train service actually ......... here.

(a) operates
(b) works
(c) functions
(d) takes

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", answer 4

I suppose as we live in a very rural area, we are lucky that a train service actually operates here.

Correct answer: (a) operates

I suppose as we live in a very rural area, we are lucky that a train service actually works here.
_________________________

Aren't "work" and "operate" synonyms - where is the distinction? And where does "function" have its place?

Work/operate/function #2 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 10:20 am   Work/operate/function

Work means that something goes as it should. If your watch has stopped and won't start again, your watch isn't working. Operate is used for systems, organisations, services. The bus service in the village doesn't operate on Sundays - there are no buses on that day. Function is often a technical/mechanical process. An engine will not run if part of it is defective and that part therefore doesn't function correctly.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Offset" | Bite your tongue
Difference between fall asleep and fall into sleepDifference between matter and businessAccidents will happenI look forward to seeing youDifference between hold on and hold upDifference between recognition and respectHit or miss methodHave time on your handsYou mustn't let your stocks run dryI'd like to explain the verb 'improve'Difference between loan and borrowWe are taking the day offStrengths and weaknesses