to accuse; to admonish
reprove
schedule
abolish
guarantee

Meaning of "Offset"

Difference between recognition and respect | Difference between operate, function and work
Meaning of "Offset" #1 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 9:37 am   Meaning of "Offset"

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", question 6

All you can say is that the high price is somewhat ......... by being able to get to a large city quickly.

(a) upset
(b) overturned
(c) highlighted
(d) offset

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", answer 6

All you can say is that the high price is somewhat offset by being able to get to a large city quickly.

Correct answer: (d) offset

All you can say is that the high price is somewhat highlighted by being able to get to a large city quickly.
_________________________

Please explain to me "be offset"?

Tulpan
Tulpan

Offset #2 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 am   Offset

This means balance in favour of one side. If you pay a high price for something, you don't mind if that is offset by good quality - if that is counterbalanced by good quality and so that means it is worth it.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between fall asleep and fall into sleepDifference between matter and businessAccidents will happenI look forward to seeing youBite your tongueDifference between hold on and hold upHit or miss methodHave time on your handsYou mustn't let your stocks run dryI'd like to explain the verb 'improve'Difference between loan and borrowWe are taking the day offStrengths and weaknesses