Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sickness; illness
disease
segment
luggage
frame
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between "buddy" and "dude"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
How can we read '$1.90'? | What does "sticky" mean? (Sticky posts)
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between "buddy" and "dude"? #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 14, 2008 20:21 pm   Difference between "buddy" and "dude"?

Whats the diff. between "buddy" and "dude" ?

Is one more old fashioned?

Is one more AE vs BE?

Which one is more low level?

Peter
Pstein
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Whats the diff. between "buddy" and "dude"? #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 am   Whats the diff. between "buddy" and "dude"?

Dude is more contemporary, but buddy is still in considerable use, I think. Both are primarily AmE. I don't know what you mean by 'low level'; both are acceptable among peers, and both would be rude if directed to inappropriate parties.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between "buddy" and "dude"? #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:55 am   Difference between "buddy" and "dude"?

Also, "buddy" means close, informal friend, while "dude" now just means the same thing as "guy". "Dude" used to mean a city dweller who was visiting a ranch, or a very fastidiously dressed man.

If you call someone you're angry at "buddy", then it can be insulting instead of friendly.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How can we read '$1.90'? | What does "sticky" mean? (Sticky posts)
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Three of them's job is to wait here'As a business traveller, we need you...'I'm Sam! I very want to learn English for my Jobs and It's my favorite...What is different between going away and going out?private or special?Meaning of 'These are my stuff'?Usage of 'interest' (Calvin Klein has aggressively expanded its interest outside)travel stipend?Because vs Because ofconfused using "on" and "in"Expression: What is up?be upset with vs. be upset aboutbe tired of vs. be tired from