produced; made; manufactured
crafted
talkative
secure
terrible

Provided that vs. Providing that

Is it correct to say that I don't fight behind the screen"? | I have breakfast everyday. vs She has breakfast everyday.
Provided that vs. Providing that #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:19 am   Provided that vs. Providing that

Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Provided that" and " Providing that"?

Many thanks,

Minh
Minh

Provided that vs. Providing that #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 16, 2008 14:55 pm   Provided that vs. Providing that

.
Not much. I cannot think of anywhere I would use one that I cannot use the other.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Provided that vs. Providing that #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 am   Provided that vs. Providing that

I'm not a native speaker (in fact, a Norwegian living in Paris), so don't take my reasoning for anything but speculation, but it seems to me that there is, or at least ought to be, a difference between the two.

The construct describes a precondition, and because the condition must be fulfilled prior to whatever depends on it, does it not make more sense to use the past tense?

For example,

"I'll buy the car, provided that my bank is willing to extend a loan."

Here, the bank's willingness to extend a loan necessarily precedes buying the car, and, to my mind at least, it therefore makes more sense to use the past tense.

There is another case that leaves me more ambigious:

"I'll cook, providing you do the dishes."

Of course, the dishwashing would take place after the cooking. However, to me, it seems this is really a rationalization of a PREcondition (after all, a postcondition makes no sense), namely

"I'll cook, provided you [promise to] do the dishes."

It's hardly a question of great importance, but I think it's interesting and would appreciate any comments.
Parisianbull

Provided that vs. Providing that #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 am   Provided that vs. Providing that

.
While your argument is endearingly logical, it isn't true; I would use either verb form with equal ease in both of your example sentences.
.
_________________

Sentence: I use or I wear a purse/wallet?As a...prime minister, his views are reacted with respect when he is interviewedUsage of 'so': I'm going to your home, so i need your address.Sentence: I was proud to be sepated out for special praise for my performanceCan I use 'overly' instead of 'very'?Difference between "participate" and "engage in"Present Perfect - AlreadySaying the phrase Queen of SpadesWill rather vs. would ratherSentence: I am yet to provide the next of kin to lay claims to the Fund.take actions or take steps?Sentence: the car accident and the damage resulted in...Usage of suggest