superior; supreme; above all; of the highest rank; most important
complete
motive
legitimate
paramount

Difference between matter and business

What does this phrase mean: "to fall in love"? | Difference between fall asleep and fall into sleep
Difference between matter and business #1 (permalink) Wed May 11, 2005 7:41 am   Difference between matter and business

Test No. incompl/inter-81 "Save Our Animals (1)", question 9

They lived in a des res (very attractive house) and her father, John Fortune, who was really a bit of a fat cat (wealthy businessman) thought that all this animal ......... was a lot of hocus pocus (nonsense).

(a) matter
(b) business
(c) concerns
(d) topic

Test No. incompl/inter-81 "Save Our Animals (1)", answer 9

They lived in a des res (very attractive house) and her father, John Fortune, who was really a bit of a fat cat (wealthy businessman) thought that all this animal business was a lot of hocus pocus (nonsense).

Correct answer: (b) business

_________________________

I was not sure because of "business". So why wouldn't have "matter" been suitable?

Difference between matter and business #2 (permalink) Wed May 11, 2005 14:37 pm   Difference between matter and business

Matter is more specific than business. If you talk about a particular issue or problem, you can use the word matter. Animal business covers a wider range of things that are related to one topic.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A person in the water

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Oh #3 (permalink) Thu May 12, 2005 10:42 am   Oh

Manner or matter?
Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Uniform productsWhat are job redundancies? Is this an idiom?The cheapest wayDifference between looking for and searching forMeaning of "Registered post"Accidents will happenI look forward to seeing youBite your tongueDifference between hold on and hold upMeaning of "Offset"Difference between operate, function and workDifference between recognition and respectHit or miss method