Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

made or done immediately; paid at once; performed randomly
including
inalienable
becoming
spot
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'put off' mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "surviving an array" | Difference between credit and credulous
listening exercisestell a friend
What does 'put off' mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 am   What does 'put off' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #705 "English Slang Idioms (447)", question 8

"I don't think I want to get together with Vince any time soon. I'm really ......... off by his racist comments and his foul language," Chris said to Ryan.

(a) made
(b) set
(c) put
(d) done

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #705 "English Slang Idioms (447)", answer 8

"I don't think I want to get together with Vince any time soon. I'm really put off by his racist comments and his foul language," Chris said to Ryan.

Correct answer: (c) put

Your answer was: incorrect
"I don't think I want to get together with Vince any time soon. I'm really made off by his racist comments and his foul language," Chris said to Ryan.

Coul you please tell me what "to be put off" exactly mean?
Babi
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does 'put off' mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:54 am   What does 'put off' mean?

Hi,

'Put off' in the sentence suggests that you don't like something as in: I really don't like that food as I am always put off by the smell it makes.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'put off' mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 19, 2008 22:21 pm   What does 'put off' mean?

Thanks Alan
Your explanations are so good that there is no need for additional questions :)

Frida
Feridestg

meaning of "surviving an array" | Difference between credit and credulous
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does "unknown quantity" means?Trouble with my mother?That's that vs. that's it?Opportunity vs. occasion.Expression: screaming point'meet with someone's approval' mean someone agrees with something?today vs tomorrowMeaning of "stuck out a mile"Balmy weather vs Frosty weathereverything vs. anythingsound vs speechGood test!Why it could not be "expressed fashion"?