to move heavily or awkwardly; to accumulate; to collect
lumber
fax
chain
incline

What does timeless present mean?

Difference of Until vs Up to | one night stand
What does timeless present mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2008 15:48 pm   What does timeless present mean?

Dear professor: could you explain what the timeless present is, please? semantically speaking, does English have tenseless verbs? for example, "One plus one is two". Is "is" in the sentence tenseless? Anyway, the sentence refers to no specific time. in this case, how to interpret the tense meaning in relation to time? thank you.
Guzhao67

What does timeless present mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2008 15:56 pm   What does timeless present mean?

Hi, ha

'Timeless' here refers to the use of the present tense when you refer to for example what a writer has written, which has no relation to any particular time as in:

Shakespeare describes the experiences of an old man going insane in his tragedy, King Lear.

It can also be used when you are referring to facts as in: water freezes.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: The sooner schooling starts the more likely it is that play gets...During/On/At ChristmasSentence: Do you realise it's nearly midnight? it's time you ... in bedwhy we use simple present tense when referring to a past author?Eavesdropping?Conversation between two members in an English groupSimple present tense: 'Fish live in water' and 'oil will float on water'I would not have felt so nervous if I had practiced a lot moreI am delighted to see/seeing you againAccording to plurals: wife - wifes / wivesInstead or InspiteWhat is the opposite of "deteriorate"?Usage of parallelly