reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible

How can I improve my writing skills?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Giving the bird | Burmese Gigolo!
How can I improve my writing skills? #1 (permalink) Mon May 16, 2005 20:16 pm   How can I improve my writing skills?

Hi all,

I am much interested in improving my writing. It is often said that one could improve one's writing only by writing a lot. So recently when I came across a quote that said "Practice makes permanent", instead of the more famous "Practice makes perfect," I wondered if the same applied to writing and I think it does. I cannot become a better writer just by writing badly day in and day out. For me to become a better writer, I need to be corrected when I go wrong.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if we can write a brief essay of sorts every week, and post it on this site? We can then correct each other and of course Alan, Torsten, and other teachers/advanced learners can point out ways in which the essay can be made to look more professional, whenever they get a chance. I think this could be one of the ways to practice right.

I would like your opinion on this. If you have an alternative suggestion, please do not hesitate to share it.

Abecedarian
Abecedarian

Improving writing skills #2 (permalink) Mon May 16, 2005 20:44 pm   Improving writing skills

Yeah, that`s really a great idea!!! Just because of some practice for everyone. Unfortunately a lot of people are really afraid of writing and even more importantly-posting. And that is really a problem I should say. As for me, I think I`ll write something for sure/ Besides I can try and write some monologues of mine which I`m going to present at my exams during this session, and that would be nice if somebody read them, criticized or just dwelled on them..just for fun or..well, I don`t know if anybody has enough time I`ll apreciate the fact that somebody really DOES read my small compositions.
Well, I think it`s only up to a person: whether he wants to share and to try or not.

But still it`s a great idea and I`ll write if I find enough time for sure!
_________________
Your Jailbird
Jailbird

Location: Russia, Moscow

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Improving writing skills #3 (permalink) Mon May 16, 2005 21:46 pm   Improving writing skills

Thanks for responding Jailbird.

Jailbird wrote:
Yeah, that`s really a great idea!!! Just because of some practice for everyone. Unfortunately a lot of people are really afraid of writing and even more importantly-posting. And that is really a problem I should say.

Believe me, I am terrified of writing and posting. Then again the greatest advantage of online forums is that they afford us some anonymity and we could use that to get out of our comfort zones and improve ourselves.

Jailbird wrote:
As for me, I think I`ll write something for sure/ Besides I can try and write some monologues of mine which I`m going to present at my exams during this session, and that would be nice if somebody read them, criticized or just dwelled on them..just for fun or..well, I don`t know if anybody has enough time I`ll apreciate the fact that somebody really DOES read my small compositions.

Do post your monologues. I for one shall definitely read them and if I can be of some help then I won't hesitate to do that either.

Abecedarian

Aside: Your handle sounds intriguing :-)
Abecedarian

Writing workshop #4 (permalink) Tue May 17, 2005 11:04 am   Writing workshop

Abecedarian has made an excellent proposal. Many of us want to improve their writing skills and can only be achieved if we practice on a regular basis. As Abecedarian pointed out, it is vital to get some feedback on your writing, you want to know if what you write 'sounds good'. Yes, we can start an online writing workshop and everybody is invited to participate. All you have to do is create a short text in English and post it here on the forum. We might even set up a particular subforum for this purpose. You can write about anything: your current situation at school, your summer holiday plans, your thoughts on politics, your favourite pop band, your hobby, your travel experiences and so on. You can even discuss your favourite quotation.
So, who goes first?

TOEIC listening, photographs: A speed-boat race

Writing workshop/forum #5 (permalink) Tue May 17, 2005 14:01 pm   Writing workshop/forum

Hi Abecedarian,

Torsten and I think this is a very good idea and will probably convert it into a separate forum. I attach an example I've just written showing the sort of piece people could write with the construction of beginning, middle and end. An average length could be 200-250 words. The piece I've just done is about 200 + words.

My first day in a new job

It had been a very difficult interview but somehow the company had decided that I was the best person for the job. As my first day got nearer, I became more and more nervous but trying to look confident I reported for duty at 8.30 in the morning as the new sales assistant. A very serious looking manager showed me round the store and introduced me to the other members of staff in the computer department, where I had to work. The first morning was very quiet but later that afternoon it became busy and I had to deal with a very bad tempered customer who kept asking me to show him different pieces of equipment and in the end he decided that he didn’t want any of them and left the shop. My boss congratulated me on the way I had handled the situation. By now I was feeling very tired and must admit I kept looking at the clock. At last at six o’clock they turned off the main lights and slowly the shop started to empty. I could now relax and look forward to a nice little holiday of two days. You see my first day fortunately was on a Friday.
_________________

Writing workshop/forum #6 (permalink) Tue May 17, 2005 19:46 pm   Writing workshop/forum

Thanks Torsten and Alan for taking the suggestion seriously and swiftly.

Alan, thanks much for the sample essay. I will find it useful to structure my own piece, which I will hopefully be able to over the weekend and post it for your and others' opinion/corrections.

Thanks again
Abecedarian
Abecedarian

Cool... #7 (permalink) Wed May 18, 2005 6:08 am   Cool...

That's what I've been looking for "FEEDBACK," approval, disaproval, and also correction of my pieces.

Way to go abecedarian, good thinking....
Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Improving writing skills #8 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2005 22:22 pm   Improving writing skills

I`m not sure whether I shall post anything here..But stil... My monologue on topic "Being a vegetarian-a fashion or a necessity?"

I`ve lately been contemplating the up & down life of a vegetarian. Why should a person deprive himself from meat nd some other food? Is it because of taking care of their health or feeling a moral responsibility to animals? Or is it a fashion to be a complte vegetarian? And I would say first of all that it is just a way of life. In Russia, some time ago, being a vegetarian was really fashionable. But none of people really succeeded! Being a vegetarian is closely related to leading a special way of life, particularly, feeling in an extraordinary way. That`s on the other hand, there exist so-called non-meat eaters, not full vegetarians. And I should say it is a much easier task that the task of being a full one. How should a person come to the conclusion that cutting meat and other animal food out of their diet would be better for them? This has involved into hours of thinking. Only the other day I was jolted to hear the words slipping easily off the lips of my best friend. That`s not just a part of his life! He just doesn't need it! It seems mad enough but he`s healthier than all of us!

Don't be very critisizing, please!!!
_________________
Your Jailbird
Jailbird

Location: Russia, Moscow

Improving writing skills #9 (permalink) Sun May 22, 2005 11:57 am   Improving writing skills

Jailbird wrote:

I`ve lately been contemplating the up & down(THE UPS AND DOWNS OF THE) life of a vegetarian. Why should a person deprive himself from (WHY SHOULD YOU DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF)meat A(a)nd some (ANY) other food? Is it because (YOU WANT TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF .. OR FEEL)of taking care of their health or feeling a moral responsibility to animals? Or is it a fashion to be a complEte vegetarian? And I would say first of all that it is just a way of life. In Russia, some time ago, being a vegetarian was really fashionable. But none of people(NOBODY/NO-ONE) really succeeded! Being a vegetarian is closely related to leading a special way of life, particularly, feeling in an extraordinary way. That`s (BUT?)on the other hand, there exist so-called non-meat eaters, not full vegetarians. And I should say it is a much easier task that (THAN) the task of being a full one(HUNDRED PER CENT VEGETARIAN). How should a person come to the conclusion that cutting meat and other animal food out of their diet would be better for them? This has involved (DEVELOPED ?)into hours of thinking. Only the other day I was jolted (AMAZED ?)to hear the words slipping easily off the lips (TONGUE) of my best friend. That`s not just a part of his life! He just doesn't need it! It seems mad enough(IT SEEMS CRAZY I KNOW) but he`s healthier than all of us!

Don't be very critisizing( DON'T BE TOO CRITICAL), please!!!

Well done - I've made a few suggestions, which may be useful.

_________________

Improving writing skills #10 (permalink) Wed May 25, 2005 7:28 am   Improving writing skills

Thanx very much))) I haven`t expected so much attention to this ont thing. Still, thank you very much for correcting everything, I`ll take it into my account!!!
_________________
Your Jailbird
Jailbird

Location: Russia, Moscow

Improving writing skilles #11 (permalink) Tue May 31, 2005 3:11 am   Improving writing skilles

Hi, I come from Asia. since I was twelve years old, I have learned English as my second language for fifteen years. Every day I read a lot English and listen a lot English, but I can't feel my english improvments strongly, because I can't use litter of it to think and write . So writing something in English about my life is good idea for me. I agree with the opinion that we should have a sort of writing workshop where I could send some of my written work. Everybody can discuss other's written work and correct the errors. :)
Chow

Improving writing skills #12 (permalink) Fri Jul 01, 2005 21:15 pm   Improving writing skills

Jailbird wrote:

Jailbird. That was a nice monologue. Sorry I was away for some time and could not contribute in anyway.

And thanks Alan, be way of correcting Jailbird, we have have learnt something.

Abecedarian

Hi #13 (permalink) Thu Aug 04, 2005 18:24 pm   Hi

It is a very very fantastic idea
Iam with you :D
and Iam ready for the nice idea I will write soon.
thanks alot
Bent_Ilq8

Improving writing skills #14 (permalink) Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:49 am   Improving writing skills

Hi! It seems to be a great ideea and I am waiting to find where I can write a composition.
I am a little bit absend-minded so I do not understand if already exists a special talking list for this.
So, please, can somebody show me where I can write and read compositions?
Savitry

Location: Bucharest Romania

How can I improve my writing skills? #15 (permalink) Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 am   How can I improve my writing skills?

Hi Lucia,

You can post your essay or story here on the forum and we'll tell you what we think about it.
Regards

TOEIC listening, photographs: In a hair salon

Giving the bird | Burmese Gigolo!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Dear Vodafone: Please set me free!Perfect material for ESL students:Purchasing a Nexus 4Just some humor.... (by Google)The world's first iOS TOEIC® app....Going to the UKA little P O S HI sing English songs to have good accent!Practising English on one's ownTell someone you love them today . . . in German!Thought for the daySport and future!!Look! Red Dragon is Going Down.