viewpoint; stance; condition; state; mood; attitude
attainment
coalition
posture
consciousness

To the clerk to the corporation

why not 'tone' or 'sound'? | Voting for a candidate
To the clerk to the corporation #1 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2005 10:27 am   To the clerk to the corporation

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", question 9

If you want something to be brought over at the next meeting, you must give sufficient notice to the clerk to the corporation.

(a) brought over
(b) sufficient
(c) clerk
(d) corporation

Test No. errors/advan-7 "At the Meeting", answer 9

If you want something to be brought up at the next meeting, you must give sufficient notice to the clerk to the corporation.

Correct entry: brought up
The error was: (a) brought over

You have not found the error.
If you want something to be brought over at the next meeting, you must give anticipated notice to the clerk to the corporation.
_________________________

Why is it said "the clerk to the corporation" instead of "the clerk of the corporation"?
Sergio
Sergio

Clerk to/of #2 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 am   Clerk to/of

The reason why I have written clerk to is because the clerk is offering a service to the corporation. If you said of, it would suggest the clerk was a member of the corporation, which is not the case.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Uhm! #3 (permalink) Fri May 20, 2005 2:36 am   Uhm!

Uhmmm, I like your approach.
Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

To the clerk to the corporation #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 18:17 pm   To the clerk to the corporation

hi alan,
can you tell me please the difference between bring up and bring over? thank you
Giancarloc

To the clerk to the corporation #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 20:12 pm   To the clerk to the corporation

As with all phrasal verbs there are several interpretations about the meaning. Without knowing the context I would offer 'bring up' as another way of saying rear/educate in the sense of how parents help their children to develop. 'Bring over' can simply mean take something from one place to where you are in the sense of asking someone to come to you house and 'bring over' photographs of their holiday.

_________________

Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?need vs. mustraise vs. ariseWhat does 'whose' mean?why "set of" is used in this case?Whether the FCPA Act applies to Joint venture companies of the US?meaning of "deep water"Someone gave me a piece of adiveExpression 'Make their minds up'Is there such a term as "try back"?since vs whilewhat the elements involve in the study of organistional behaviour?"prints developed" vs "developed"