payable; subject to or requiring payment especially as specified
kindly
hidden
collectible
easy

Difference between base and basis

How do I know if my answer is correct or not? | What do you mean by mammals?
Difference between base and basis #1 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2005 17:55 pm   Difference between base and basis

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", question 8

You fill in those forms on a weekly ..........

(a) stand
(b) base
(c) size
(d) basis

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", answer 8

You fill in those forms on a weekly basis.

Correct answer: (d) basis

You fill in those forms on a weekly base.
_________________________

what's the difference between base and basis in this sentence?

a bientot, K.
K.

Base/basis #2 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2005 19:08 pm   Base/basis

Hi K,

Thanks for an interesting question. The main difference is that base is the literal word and basis the figurative word. So base means the foundation/the bottom part. If you want to build something on the ground and you want it to be firm and not move, you must make sure that the base is solid. If you are talking about an argument/a discussion/a philosophy, you would use the word basis for the starting point.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between base and basis #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 15:50 pm   Difference between base and basis

hello Mr.Alan

it seems i am removing the dust from old files!

so the answer precisely separates the two.Ok, lets have a look at this interesting discussion http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic11459.html would you please answer to queries raised in that discussion then i might have some more questions.

A little addition in reply to K

in addition to above the meaning(Mr.Alan`s post), the word `basis` also means `the way sth is organized or arranged`-oxford dictionary, this is what `basis` meant in your question.
Asad

Location: Pakistan

Difference between base and basis #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 10, 2009 13:17 pm   Difference between base and basis

on a weekly basis? the meaning in above sentence? I don't catch it, thanks

Difference between base and basis #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 10, 2009 13:29 pm   Difference between base and basis

Good morning Saneta.
The frequency of the mail despatch. Every week.

_________________

Difference between base and basis #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 07, 2010 13:58 pm   Difference between base and basis

A4apple

Difference between base and basis #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 07, 2010 14:00 pm   Difference between base and basis

and the difference between can not and cannot?
A4apple

Difference between base and basis #8 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:00 am   Difference between base and basis

What's the difference between although and though?
A4apple

Difference between base and basis #9 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 am   Difference between base and basis

According to Oxford, both cannot and can not are acceptable spellings, but the first is much more usual. You would use can not when the 'not' forms part of another construction such as 'not only'.

However, there are times when one is definitely preferred over the other in my experience.
Generally, cannot does not leave the possibility of being able to do something. 'Cannot' is unequivocal: it means you do not have a choice; something you cannot do is not something you “can” or “can not” do. It means that you are not able to do that thing.
Can not is used where an emphasis of the negative aspect of 'not' is required.

So:
'I cannot be in two places at the same time.'
'You can go to the party or you can not go to the party, the choice is up to you.'

What seems to work most of the time is, if in spoken English you find yourself saying “can’t”, then in formal English it is generally safer and more acceptable to write “cannot”.
_________________

Difference between base and basis #10 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 am   Difference between base and basis

For a comparison of 'though' and 'although', please see these threads:
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic19595.html
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic16038.html
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic39858.html
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic14562.html

There is also an explanation here.
_________________

What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?What does telemarketing mean?become excited vs. become scaredWhat's a carescape?Do the platypuses lay eggs?What is the difference between grisly and gruesome?I feel like a million dollars?Middle-class vs. underclassNascent could also be an optionI need to get a test, Could you give some information about testsWhat is an ecosystem?humankind vs human kind"I fell asleep" instead of "I feel asleep"