lawyer; barrister; advocate; solicitor
benefit
attorney
range
description

What is a lone wolf?

What does 'back down' mean? Is it a phrasal verb? | What does it mean -- 'the house had been valued'?
What is a lone wolf? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:49 am   What is a lone wolf?

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #9 "Animal Idioms", question 10

He doesn't really go around with many people because he's a bit of a lone wolf.

(a) single person
(b) lonely person
(c) unhappy person
(d) simple person

ESL/EFL Test #9 "Animal Idioms", answer 10

He doesn't really go around with many people because he's a bit of a lonely person.

Correct answer: (b) lonely person

_________________________

I would disagree with this answer. just because a person enjoys being by themselves does not make them lonely. I would say that this person is a single person not a lonely person.

Robert
Robert...

What is a lone wolf? #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 24, 2012 18:26 pm   What is a lone wolf?

Hello. I am an English teacher, and I agree with Robert that a "lone wolf" is not lonely! This actually made me laugh, because this is a clear cultural difference. In some languages, "lonely" and "alone" are pretty much the same word. In English, "lonely" is of course a bad feeling, but we place a high value on accomplishing things "alone" or being "alone" to engage in deep thinking. And of course, many people -- "lone wolves" -- like to be alone.

"Lone wolf" is often used to describe a person who gets things done by himself or herself, sometimes by breaking the rules or doing something unusual. Many cop movies have this plot -- the "rogue" cop is a "lone wolf" who tracks down the criminal all by himself, by breaking away from his boss and the other cops.

The question is badly written. I wouldn't say that a "lone wolf" is "single" (he doesn't have a girlfriend?) A better answer to the question would be "independent."
Jendziura

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
The Koala is actually not a bear despite what its name implies.a lot of usesDoes thriftiness mean to save money with clipping coupons?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 5Test incompl/advan-847, Question 4Why can negotiations result in a significant discount?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 2Cave vs cave inpull over vs. pull indifference between trend and fashionExplanation: package to store left over food...Synonym of slappMeaning of voyage