Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

goods; ware; stock; articles or items to be sold
acronym
addition
peace
merchandise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of preferment | The meaning of "light rain"
listening exercisestell a friend
What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 27, 2008 15:05 pm   What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #706 "English Slang Idioms (448)", question 5

"I'm at the ......... of my tether at work. If the boss yells at me one more time for someone else's mistake, I'm going to get up and walk out," Jerry said to Phil.

(a) back
(b) front
(c) top
(d) end

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #706 "English Slang Idioms (448)", answer 5

"I'm at the end of my tether at work. If the boss yells at me one more time for someone else's mistake, I'm going to get up and walk out," Jerry said to Phil.

Correct answer: (d) end

Your answer was: incorrect
"I'm at the back of my tether at work. If the boss yells at me one more time for someone else's mistake, I'm going to get up and walk out," Jerry said to Phil.

what does this phrase mean? i am at the end of my tether

Vaida
Vaida

What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2008 19:49 pm   What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?

It's an idiom that means a person is extremely frustrated and no longer has the patience or the will to deal with or manage the thing/person that is causing the frustration.
The word tether is a rope that is used to prevent animals from wandering around.
Exact definition: "something (as a rope or chain) by which an animal is fastened so that it can range only within a set radius."
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of preferment | The meaning of "light rain"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
meaning of "take the law into your own hands""68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"I haven't seen 'a ripper of a time' before, doesn't it mean 'a wonderful time'?"yet" and "however"After Summer come the...?What does Chinooks mean?What's the difference between account and count?Garbage in garbage out kind of thing?Meaning of the idiom "fall off a turnip truck"What's the grammar rule for using anyone and no one?What does 'dead from the neck up' mean?meaning of TwilightWhat does balmy mean?