sharp or harsh in language or temper; rancorous; bitter; caustic
perverse
contemptuous
itinerant
acrimonious

TOEFL® essay: Children' leisure activities

Short or long vacations? | Why are movies popular?
TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 am   TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities

Children’ leisure activities
Some people believe that children’s leisure activities must be educational, otherwise they are a complete waste of time.
Do you agree or disagree?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your experience.

Different people will give different response to this question from their own characters, emotional concerns and even educational backgrounds. However when it comes to me, I believe that nowadays children spend so much time at school and attend various additional classes and sometimes they need to spend their leisure activities without educational base.
In the first place, the parents think playing is a learning process. Needless to say children are much creative than most of us. They still have a blank and original mind, they just use their own eyes to watch the world and use their ways to explore the world, while playing together with other kids, they can practically learn many things, such as how to cooperate with others and to help others. While playing with pets, they will how to take care of them, and learn to take care of other people as well. Moreover even computer games can be very good. Sometimes not only their leisure activities without educational base do not waste their time but also fill it with full of beneficial things.
In the second place, when parents think of school study, they think of textbooks and exam that is to say children have to do a lot of homework to practice what their kids learn at school and they have to memorize a lot of knowledge in order to get good scores.
These parents when want to buy a toy for their children they think it should has an educational effect on them or games have to make brain work. They think youngsters should do only those activities that benefit their knowledge and educate them and unattended kid hardly makes proper use of his leisure time even on holiday.
For instance, as a teacher I have seen the result of this point of view, children are deprived of enjoyment of their childhood years and their desire to play. The children who are not allowed to play and are forced to study can begin to detest the education process and the teachers.
In conclusion I would like to point out that, always leisure activities should not be educational. Education through fun is useful but children must have some free times to relax so that their enjoyment of childhood that is once in a lifetime would not be prevented.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention the weather at the beginning of his lecture?
Mirsepasi

TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 am   TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities

I would score your essay 4.0/5.0 due to some grammar and vocabulary issues. Nevertheless, I like the tight organization of the essay, with clear transition cues separating each paragraph. Nicely written!

Good luck!

Michael Buckhoff is an ESL and English Professor at California State University, San Bernardino and has been teaching TOEFL preparation courses since 1994.
Mbuckhoff

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 am   TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities

Thanks so much Professor Michael BUckoff, Could you do me a favour and underline my error on the essay, Mirsepasi
Mirsepasi

TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 29, 2010 13:35 pm   TOEFL essay: Children' leisure activities

Well,I found it very useful and I took lots of ideas for my H/W essay! Thanks in advance
Hackmeup

Studyin in a big city or small cityTOEFL® topic to eat at home or eat at restaurantsNews is playing a vital role in our life today.A company has announced that is wishes to built a large factory nearDistance or classroom learning?What do you think your life will be like after retirement? Use reasons and detailtopic8 do you support or oppose about building a factory near communityWhy do people visit museums?more enjoyableWhen people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing...A person you know is planning to move to your town or city...It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a...Some people say that computers have made life easier and more convenient.