section; piece; region; role; function; side in an agreement
vocabulary
plan
part
estate

difference between "repute" and "reputation"

What are your comments about your career progression in your work | 'to put all one's eggs in one basket'
difference between "repute" and "reputation" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 01, 2009 13:00 pm   difference between "repute" and "reputation"

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Guarantees and Warranties", question 5

Sometimes people don't bother about guarantees because the ......... of the manufacturer is enough for them.

(a) repute
(b) reputed
(c) reputedly
(d) reputation

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Guarantees and Warranties", answer 5

Sometimes people don't bother about guarantees because the reputation of the manufacturer is enough for them.

Correct answer: (d) reputation

_________________________

Can you explain the difference between "repute" and "reputation" please?

Thu
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

difference between "repute" and "reputation" #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 17, 2009 0:57 am   difference between "repute" and "reputation"

Thu
_________________
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between "repute" and "reputation" #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:22 am   difference between "repute" and "reputation"

Hi Thunu,

'Reputation' is possibly the most used word to describe 'name' in the sense of what people think of someone/something and of course it can be good as well as bad. 'Repute' is more formal in its use and has more a suggestion of the abstract since it doesn't specify what that 'name' or 'regard' is. It occurs in expressions like: 'A company of international repute' 'a house of ill repute' is a rather formal way of describing a brothel. 'Of repute' on its own indicates having a high reputation.

Hope that helps.

_________________

what does anti-fraud mean?What does 'make up for' mean?Expression "to indulge in"What is the means of rally?what do you mean by hot water?what does frost mean?What is a fall guy?what does a chaff mean?What is Istanbul?Can the letter "a" be a preposition?Visit vs. encounterDifference between "stare" and "gaze"English tenses