bundle; parcel; container for storage or transportation; inseparable combination of items
session
package
brochure
synthesis

Difference between speculative and speculation

Idiom: 'in the soup' | Meaning of 'down-at-heel'
Difference between speculative and speculation #1 (permalink) Thu May 26, 2005 11:16 am   Difference between speculative and speculation

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", question 4

The more the authorities try to conceal what is happening, the more it fuels ......... about what might be happening.

(a) speculative
(b) spectacle
(c) speciality
(d) speculation

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", answer 4

The more the authorities try to conceal what is happening, the more it fuels speculation about what might be happening.

Correct answer: (d) speculation
_________________________

Why we cannot use "speculative" instead of "speculation" here? I know I have something wrong with my grammar in this sentence but I don't know exactly where. Please explain.
Thank you very much and Best regards
doanngockhanh

Difference between speculative and speculation #2 (permalink) Thu May 26, 2005 19:00 pm   Difference between speculative and speculation

Speculation is the noun (needed here) - speculative is the adjective.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:34 am   Meaning

Hi Alan:
Please explain what does it mean for this sentence?

(a) speculative
(b) spectacle
(c) speciality
(d) speculation
kelly

Speculation #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:43 am   Speculation

Hi Kelly,

This means: The more authorities (people in councils/parliament etc) try to hide what is happening, then this will increase/develop (fuel) theories (speculation) about what is happening. In other words if people don'tknow the truth, then they will make up/imagine what the truth is.

_________________

...will be ratifiedDifferences between accessory and partDifferences between accessory and partWhat mean does this sentence?Have you ever tried your hand at ...vs finger atMeaning of 'under my skin'Difference between 'brand' and 'sort'Idiom: 'make a monkey of somebody'Too sweet vs. Too softWhat does this idiom mean: "I've got you under my skin"? (Frank SinatraMeaning of 'turn into'Meaning of 'hold on'Meaning of "All the world's a stage"