rug; fabric floor covering
proximity
carpet
conduct
grocery

Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain...

Are you planning to learn Russian? | Asking for some suggestions: I intend to establish an academy to develop...
Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain... #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 17:03 pm   Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain...

I've read a poem by ROGER McGOUGH but I understand a little. Please explain the meaning in a simple word for me, thanks a lot.

The Way Things Are
No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain.
Even telescopes, like the rest of us, grow bored.
Bubble gum will not make the hair soft and shiny.
The duller the imagination, the faster the car.
I am your father and that is the way things are.

When the sky is looking the other way,
do not enter the forest. No, the wind
is not caused by the rushing of clouds.
An excuse is as good a reason as any.
A lighthouse, launched, will not go far,

What's the tone of this poem ?
What's the poet's attitude ?
Tanthai

Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain. #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 31, 2009 19:26 pm   Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain.

I am, too, curious to know the meaning of this poem. May be the poet, a father, is explaining himself or asking for an excuse.
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain... #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 31, 2009 20:43 pm   Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain...

I think this poem is all about preparing a child for life's reality without actually taking away and ruining his imagination and curiousity, at the same time warning him that some things are not what they seem. Bubble gums, however sweet and nice, don't make hair soft and shiny; instead, they make hair stiff and greasy. When the sky turns dark, it's not safe to go wandering around. The poem sounded exasperated to me at first, but ultimately, it's all about what real parents sound like -- caring and full of wisdom.
Mapet

Location: Philippines

Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain. #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:55 am   Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain.

Mapet wrote:
The poem sounded exasperated to me at first, but ultimately, it's all about what real parents sound like -- caring and full of wisdom.

I like the way you interpreted it. Understanding the poems or the humour is the ultimate test of the language, isn't it?
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain... #5 (permalink) Sun Feb 01, 2009 13:46 pm   Poem: The Way Things Are, No, the candle is not crying, it can not feel pain...

Thanks, Gray. Yeah, it is. But poems are subjective, so there's really no wrong or right way of interpreting them, I think. As long as you connect with a certain poem, that's all that matters.
Mapet

Location: Philippines

Link to download spanishWho can share his idea for any project which help me in English lessons?Language for all mankindDo you play any musical instrument?English Letter WritingIs spelling important?Good Books to read...Share advice: I was brought up with Polish and in year 9...Hello new teachers and new friends! My name is Sian. I am from Indonesia...The three days of HongKong Travel.How did you find this site?How Rules Rule Your Lifeare you belive a fortune_teller