to argue; to discuss; to consider; to ponder
debate
stay
change
watch

Difference between should/could/would?

"An hill" | use of could and would in making sentense
Difference between should/could/would? #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 31, 2009 17:04 pm   Difference between should/could/would?

Please,what is the difference among these words - should,would,could. When I can use - I have been studying for 2 years.I have been studied for 2 years.Thanks for explenation. Viera
Viera

Difference between should/could/would? #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:42 am   Difference between should/could/would?

.
The words have various meanings which any DICTIONARY will list for you, Viera. Very briefly:

Should -- must; had ought
Would -- intended to; inclined to
Could -- was possible to
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between should/could/would? #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:02 am   Difference between should/could/would?

so SHOULD is used mostly to express suggestions or advices, example:

You have a test tomorrow, you should study for it.

In this sentence it's advisable that you study for the test if you wanna pass it.

Or in the negative: You shouldn't smoke so much. (I am giving an advice once smoking is bad for your health you should not do it)

Could is the past of CAN and is used to describe possibility in the past, like: I could watch TV everyday when I was a kid but now I Can't.

Ability in the past: John could run 5 miles when he was young.

Requests: Could I talk to you? (can I talk to you). When used in a request or permission it does not give an idea of past and has the same idea of can. However, it sounds a little more formal than can.

Would is used to describe ideas like hypothesis.
Ex: I would like to go to Europe next year.
Mark would like to speak Spanish.

Of course, this is an overall explanation, there are many other uses for these words, which are called modal verbs in English. Here you have only their primary use.
Rafaelinrio

Location: Canada and Brazil

the difference betwen can-could, will - wlould #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 am   the difference betwen can-could, will - wlould

im ilham i want to know the difference between can-could, will-would,,thanx
Ilham_Cahaya_Amzul

Location: Indonesia

Difference between should/could/would? #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:57 am   Difference between should/could/would?

i want to know the meaning and usage of would and should can and could
Sheenkhan22

Difference between should/could/would? #6 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2010 14:11 pm   Difference between should/could/would?

Please start by reading THIS.
_________________

Difference between should/could/would? #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 15:41 pm   Difference between should/could/would?

should --> ought to ,and it's also used when giving advice . e.g : You should go to bed early.
could -->request or ask for something or permission e.g : Could you pass me the letter, please?
would ----> request for help or give offer e.g : Would you help me to carry these books?
Aellynne

Sentences: Do you intend to go out with us?To start to vs to start -ingCan't +have+ppConnectors and Conjunctions-Are they the same?confusing about carsQuestionDifferences between because of, due to, owing to, thanks to."order form" or "ordering form"using when with past perfectQuestion tagsWhen to use "Are" and "Do"?Please Check Few SentencesReported speech