Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

cameraman; person who takes pictures
photographer
caution
trespasser
load
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
'the' + place names: eg. 'the Yokohama plant' vs 'Yokohama plant' | Correct answer in English: They ... each other since 1992.
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window? #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 am   Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window?

My very first post here guys, I found this place by chance and find it REALLY useful. I'm Brazilian and I'm teaching English here, but of course, as a non native English Speaker I have some doubts.

So, what's the main difference between these two sentences:

- Did you try opening the window?
- Did you try to open the window?

And these:

- I will never forget to meet you there.
- I will never forget meeting you there.

-> In this second sentence, to my understanding, "...meeting..." means something that already happened, and "... to meet..." means something that may have happened in the past but will still happen again in the future. Is that right?

And what about the window sentence?

Thanks in advance! :D
InsaneMetal
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window? #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 am   Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window?

Here it goes,
the idea in both sentences are different.

So when you say: "Did you try opening the window"? you have the idea that maybe it's very hot in the room and a person is complaining about it, so opening the window could be a solutionm for that problem.
When you say "Did you try to open the window"? maybe the window shouldn't be opened and a person tried to do it.

"I will never forget to meet you here" The idea here is that the person is promising that she/he will remember to meet someone at some place.
"I will never forget meeting you here" The idea here sounds like a memory.

More examples:

"I remember to call my girlfriend every day" The idea here is that every day I call my girlfriend because I remember to do so.
"I remember calling my girlfriend every day" sounds like a memory too...calling my girlfriend is something that happened in the past.

Hoe this helps.

Rafaelinrio
Rafaelinrio

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window? #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 am   Difference between: Did you try opening the window/to open the window?

Valeu Rafael, po, vc br aeuahueha :D
InsaneMetal

'the' + place names: eg. 'the Yokohama plant' vs 'Yokohama plant' | Correct answer in English: They ... each other since 1992.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
About nouns and singular to plural rulesfinite tensed verbs"no problem" or "no problems"very kind of you = what is the real meaning of it?Relative pronoun: a feeling that the new culture is inferior to the one to whichExpression "one of a kind"Sentence: She won't be back until Thursday.Sentence: She asked me if I still had seen / saw you.Not a single mistake did I find in your composition?One novice to read Sigmund FreudDifference between "on that time" and "at that time"Why many people when talking they like to say "you know"?happy eastwer instead of happy pass over