thin and flat object
card
attire
post
garbage

You could hear him rattling

Idiom: Bowl of cherries | Tell me about it -- let me hear your story!
You could hear him rattling #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 04, 2005 19:23 pm   You could hear him rattling

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (13)", question 10

He didn't really give speeches because he used to scream and shout and you could hear him ......... a hundred meters down the road.

(a) reigning
(b) raining
(c) ruling
(d) rattling

Test No. incompl/advan-90 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (13)", answer 10

He didn't really give speeches because he used to scream and shout and you could hear him raining a hundred meters down the road.

Correct answer: (b) raining

He didn't really give speeches because he used to scream and shout and you could hear him rattling a hundred meters down the road.
_________________________

I don't understand that idiom and what is the exact form? Maybe "to hear so. raining"?

Wilbo
Wilbo

Rattling #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:52 am   Rattling

Well, the correct answer should be 'rattling' - we'll put that right. Thanks for lettting us know.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man shoveling

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
You could hear him rattling #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 19, 2005 23:25 pm   You could hear him rattling

Great site! Keep it running!
Poker del partito

You have a very talented and skilled writting. I had a great #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 18, 2005 19:03 pm   You have a very talented and skilled writting. I had a great

brilliant site! happy to be here.
Austin Williams

You have a very talented and skilled writting. I had a great #5 (permalink) Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 am   You have a very talented and skilled writting. I had a great

http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ai090/esl-test.php

'Raining' is still given as the "correct" answer here.

Although 'rattling' would be better, that option doesn't seem terribly appropriate, either. As Diane mentioned in another thread, the word 'ranting' would be a good option, but it wasn't included.
.
_________________

You could hear him rattling #6 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 13:31 pm   You could hear him rattling

Fri Nov 18, 2005

brilliant site! happy to be here.

_________________

Rattling #7 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 14:27 pm   Rattling

Torsten wrote:

Railing sounds better.
Molly

You could hear him rattling #8 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 16:04 pm   You could hear him rattling

I see that the "correct" answer has now been changed to rattling.
To me, however, that word manages to pretty much delete the image of a person screaming and shouting.

I agree that's it's brilliant that this site provides tests and forums for ESL students. But wouldn't it be even more brilliant if the tests were adequately edited in advance, and if input from others wasn't so often met with automatic resistance and a dogged refusal to discuss anything? :wink:
.
_________________

You could hear him rattling #9 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 16:09 pm   You could hear him rattling

Another accolade!!

I agree that's it's brilliant that this site provides tests and forums for ESL students

.
ESL teacher, translator, and a native speaker of American English

_________________

You could hear him rattling #10 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 16:13 pm   You could hear him rattling

.
What was that I said about 'input from others being met with automatic resistance and a dogged refusal to discuss anything'. I guess I should have included 'selective reading' in my list. :wink:
.
.
EDIT:
Since you have chosen to simply not discuss whether one of the other words suggested might possibly be much better than 'rattling', I guess you might as well have the last defensive word in this thread, Alan. :wink:
.
_________________

You could hear him rattling #11 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 16:23 pm   You could hear him rattling

Dear Readers,

Please see Last Word.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

'she was born under a lucky star' vs 'she was born under a lucky moon'meanig of petitionCommon expression: mint conditionmeaning of 'losing your temper'Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs heremeaning of "for example"meaning of "A lit light bulb"what does "patrons" mean?what does "Tuesday week" mean?meaning of "Pouring rain"Phrase "marriage proposal as long as you promise"expression: do businessmeaning of conundrum