benefit; profit; utility; avail
accord
rear
advantage
election

Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England?

Sentence: Jekyll Island has been one of the Georgia’s state parks in 1954... | Mount vs. mountain (exam vs. examination)
Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England? #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 15, 2009 17:41 pm   Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England?

Hello everybody,
I'm doing a test now and have the following questions there:

1) Wouldn't you sooner............... tea than coffee in England?
a) had drunk, b)have drunk, c) has drunk

The key says it should be "have drunk", but I don't see why. I mean, my choice would be simply "drink" if it were meant to refer to the present or 'had drunk' for the past. Is it possible to have present perfect after this structure?

2)
I'd prefer ................. a jacket and tie.
a) him wearing b) him ought to wear c) him to wear

I agree with the key that the right choice is C, but my book also says that structure I'd prefer+sb+ing is also possible, so A should be correct too, right? Or not? Please, help :).
Raf

Test: Wouldn't you sooner... #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:12 pm   Test: Wouldn't you sooner...

1. I agree with you that simply "drink" would be the first thing that comes to mind. However, between the choices you have, only "have drunk" is at all possible because we need an infinitive after "would", not a finite verb like the other two choices.

2. I agree that A is often used as well, I would call it correct. If you search through Google you will find that both in fact have about the same frequency! Choice A is perhaps a trifle more colloquial, but "I prefer him to wear" is not altogether the most beautiful construction either. I prefer "I prefer that he wear / should wear ..." or "I prefer his wearing ...".
Cerberus™

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England? #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 am   Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England?

Cerberus, thank you so much for you explanations. I've got one more question about this sentence: "Wouldn't you sooner have drunk tea than coffee in England?" - does it refer to past or present/future time?

Regards!
Raf

Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England? #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 16, 2009 13:54 pm   Test: Wouldn't you sooner ... tea than coffee in England?

The past: it is supposed to be about an unreal situation in the past. There should be an implied condition, an "if" clause, that is not fulfilled. Such as "if you had gone to England ...", or whatever other condition you could come up with.
Cerberus™

difference between dependent/independent + on/of/uponRealize vs. Recognizeact vs. mannerWas vs Have beenUsage of legendary: After the Romans conquered Syria, Palmyra became legendary...How do introduce myself? I am master graduate in statistics, I come from Chennai.Letter: Dear Sir or Madam, I realy admire United Kingdom, and have always...Articles in contracts (IBM Application or The IBM Application)off sick vs sick leaveAbout ensured and well-establishedDrive home vs lift homeShould we use different pronunciations of the same word?Would will can could (Would you please bring me my notebook?)