to confirm the truth of something
hide
verify
pitch
consume

'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'

What does 'stick to your guns' mean? | Meaning of "right down"
'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder' #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 20, 2009 20:31 pm   'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'

You got Rob to agree to go to rehab? That's great! It's no ......... wonder that you got him to go along with that. He's probably the most hardened alcoholic I've ever known.

(a) short
(b) small
(c) quick
(d) (none)

You got Rob to agree to go to rehab? That's great! It's no small wonder that you got him to go along with that. He's probably the most hardened alcoholic I've ever known.

Correct answer: (b) small

You got Rob to agree to go to rehab? That's great! It's no wonder that you got him to go along with that. He's probably the most hardened alcoholic I've ever known.
_________________________

Hello!

why is (d)none a wrong answer?

July
July

'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder' #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:14 am   'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'

Hello July,

Generally speaking, the expressions "no wonder", "small wonder" and "no small wonder" all mean the same thing. They are all used to indicate that something is not surprising or that something is hardly surprising.

Perhaps "no small wonder" was used with a more literal meaning in this sentence, rather than the usual idiomatic meaning.

_________________
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder' #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 am   'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'

'It's no wonder' would mean that it's obvious, or very easy to see why, or no surprise that you got him to go.

'It's no small wonder' means that it's a big deal, very surprising, or a big accomplishment that you got him to go.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Expression: 'To make up one's mind'Expression 'to take (something) into consideration'Example with "call it a day"daresay, not "dare say"How can a business use a data processing center?Difference between "boarding gate" and "check-in counter"Give me a hand means help me?"grap bag" vs "grab bag"continue vs stopIf you write 'had checked' on something versus just 'checked' on something...What is a 'janitor'?Meaning of "dodges the issue"Going to quit working on the new project. vs Disagreeing about the new project.