in the event of sudden need
own
preventive
regardless
emergency

Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

Usage of surname, first name, given name? | Sentence: I like such... as vs. I like ... such as...
Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 am   Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

I've looked them up in thefreedictionary.com and see they are nearly the same in terms of meaning so I think they should be interchangeable.

If it's not the case, could anyone show me differennt usages of them by context?
Anna.ha

Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am   Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

Hi Anna,

'Part' is a general word suggesting a section that is taken from the whole. 'Portion' is more precise and suggests a particular part that has been calculated/prepared. 'Proportion' is a part in relation to other parts.

Look at these:

I haven't heard the complete story but just a part of it.
I would like a portion of cheese with my salad
Your meal is much larger in proportion to mine.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the correct use of "as with"?Word: The meaning of "by"Word: Just as when vs when; in case vs just in caseconnected to vs connected withWhat could be the meaning of would well up?What does "additional people" mean?What must I use dork or dorky?What if some virus attack/attacks?Should I use apostrophe to show possesion of a non-living thing?Use 'elaborate' for TV programmes, 'appealing' for natural places?Sentence: Although the world is full of suffering, it also full of overcoming it.three years' experience vs. three years experienceSentence: I doubted about the functionality of this code.