Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

in the event of sudden need
own
preventive
regardless
emergency
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of surname, first name, given name? | Sentence: I like such... as vs. I like ... such as...
listening exercisestell a friend
Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 am   Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

I've looked them up in thefreedictionary.com and see they are nearly the same in terms of meaning so I think they should be interchangeable.

If it's not the case, could anyone show me differennt usages of them by context?
Anna.ha
I'm here quite often ;-)

Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am   Noun: part vs. portion vs. proportion

Hi Anna,

'Part' is a general word suggesting a section that is taken from the whole. 'Portion' is more precise and suggests a particular part that has been calculated/prepared. 'Proportion' is a part in relation to other parts.

Look at these:

I haven't heard the complete story but just a part of it.
I would like a portion of cheese with my salad
Your meal is much larger in proportion to mine.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of surname, first name, given name? | Sentence: I like such... as vs. I like ... such as...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the correct use of "as with"?Word: The meaning of "by"Word: Just as when vs when; in case vs just in caseconnected to vs connected withWhat could be the meaning of would well up?What does "additional people" mean?What must I use dork or dorky?What if some virus attack/attacks?Should I use apostrophe to show possesion of a non-living thing?Use 'elaborate' for TV programmes, 'appealing' for natural places?Sentence: Although the world is full of suffering, it also full of overcoming it.three years' experience vs. three years experienceSentence: I doubted about the functionality of this code.