feeling of hatred; resentment; animosity; hostility
animus
genesis
asylum
abandon

TOEFLŪ essay: Nowadays people put too much emphasis on personal appearance...

TOEFLŪ essay: Neighbors should pay attention to the lives of people in their... | TOEFLŪ essay: Successful people try new things and take risks rather than doing...
TOEFL essay: Nowadays people put too much emphasis on personal appearance... #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 am   TOEFL essay: Nowadays people put too much emphasis on personal appearance...

Nowadays people put too much emphasis on personal appearance and fashion.

It would not be an understatement to say that it would be impossible to survive in the contemporary world without an attractive appearance and fashion sense. This is because many people judge each other according to their external beauty instead of internal worth. It may seem unfair but it is how the society works. Therefore, numerous individuals spend thousands of dollars until the point of bankruptcy.

The most infamous example of people taking ridiculous risks to enhance their appearance is plastic surgery. Of course, due to the improvement of technology and medical methods, it has become safer and more popular to go through plastic surgeries. However, the danger of doing so still exists. Most people are not well educated about the consequences and possibilities of plastic surgeries going wrong. The consequences are permanent scars, paralyzing, and even death. Just because of their wants for personal appearance, many people jeopardize their lives to go through plastic surgeries.

Clothing used to be strictly limited to the means of basic needs. As long as they were not bare naked, it did not matter so much to people. However, as the society gained significant improvement on its economy and financial situations, clothing has become an obsession. Nowadays, it seems as if it has become mandatory to keep up with the latest trend. The results are outrageous. Shoppaholics now abound. They spend more and more money on clothes until it gets out of hand. They eventually end up ignoring their financial status and hitting bankruptcy. The over-exaggeration of appearance and fashion has resulted in many broke people.

Media is the key factor contributing to people’s insane need to unattainable ideals of beauty. Their emphasis on beautiful models and celebrities has triggered the society’s dedicated desire to achieve the external beauty models and celebrities have. Sometimes, these determined individuals undergo harsh and dangerous diets and often end up with weakened health. People with less attractive appearances feel unparallel and are pressured with an obsession to achieve such features.

People are willing to give up important things to enhance their appearance and mindlessly follow fashion. It seems ridiculous that people are putting so much emphasis on their personal appearance and fashion. Nevertheless, people sacrifice their dignity, self-confidence, and even sanity to acquire stunning looks.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an adviser in the university's work-study program
Shazi.rock.star

Some tricks for the TOEFLŪ iBTTOEFLŪ essay: Good jobs always need a good ability in any person.TOEFLŪ essay: Some people spend their entire lives in one place, and some moves...TOEFLŪ essay about telecommutingTOEFLŪ essay: As modern life is very complex, young people should have the abilityTOEFLŪ essay: People should never give up when they set their mind to do somethingFree TOEFLŪ testsCopyright issue of the TOEFLŪ essays in the forumTOEFLŪ essay sample: Poorness and richness which one do you prefer?TOEFLŪ essay sample: Americans get married lateTOEFLŪ essay: A high-paying job with long hours that would give you little time...TOEFLŪ essay: Teachers should encourage their students to question everything.TOEFLŪ essay sample: The best things in life do not cost money