Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to perform; to do; to engage
commit
object
include
switch
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Comparative: Its price is twice as much as your competitor is. | What's the difference between 'except' and 'except for'.
listening exercisestell a friend
"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 20:21 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

this is something i hear quite often "it was great meeting you" and "it was great to meet you"

could it be that "meeting you" implies they have met you for a while? i have just realised that all the times i have heard "it was great meeting you" could have been "it has been great meeting you" and said by people that have known me for a while (as in saying farewell, it was great meeting you)

can you explain a bit about this? thanks
Magaly

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 0:15 am   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

In the contexts you describe, the meanings are the same, and both forms are normally used for the first meeting only, the meeting in which you were introduced to the other person. For saying farewell, the common expression is 'it was /has been great seeing / to see you'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

the former means you have already done "the meeting" and you felt happy after that while the latter suggests you felt happy prior to doing "the meeting". Of course, the former is used for saying farewell.

Am i correct?
Anna.ha
I'm here quite often ;-)

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 13:29 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

No, Anna, you are not. It would be better for you to improve your English a bit more here before you begin to offer advice yourself.

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 16:22 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

No, Mr. M, I have not offered any advice at all. Let me disagree with you. There are a few ways to learn and get improved from here. I do not like just to ask others without telling them what I understanding about something.

If you find something wrong in my understandings about things, please give me your comments and I could learn from you.

Do you agree with me?
Anna.ha
I'm here quite often ;-)

better to re-think the possibilities... #6 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 17:30 pm   better to re-think the possibilities...

Cool..! Anna.ha...!

It will be far more better to re-think the possibilities of learning something from the genuine advices of an experienced head than to disagree with him/her instantly..

After all, every one of us is learning from cradle to grave...

Have a nice experience...

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59
I'm here quite often ;-)

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #7 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 17:37 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Mister Micawber wrote:
No, Anna, you are not. It would be better for you to improve your English a bit more here before you begin to offer advice yourself.

Firstly, thanks for your answer/explanation.

I am not going to go to the easy bit and say "who are you to tell anyone their english is not perfect when you are japanese?" because i don't know whether english is your first language or how much you know about english grammar, but it certainly sounds at least very arrogant what you told Anna. Nobody is perfect, nobody knows the absolute truth so it is quite arrogant to say to someone what you have said to her. In any case, the moment she writes "Am I correct", she is suggesting rather than making an statement, which is more than welcome by me.

Anyway, my question wasn't about what tense I have to use, but when to use "to see/seeing you", perhaps I haven't explained myself properly...
Magaly

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #8 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 18:46 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Magaly, if you looked closely at his picture, you probably would not expect Mister Micawber to be Japanese. As you can see in his signature, below every one of his posts, he is a native speaker of English. As you can see below his picture, he is a professional language coach. I would not presume to judge him in this unless I knew the circumstances.
Nevertheless, your standing up for the underdog does you credit. Even so, I am sure Anna did not take it the wrong way; she seems to be a hearty debater with a keen interest in linguistic discussions.
Cerberus™
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #9 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 19:08 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Hello all, we are here to share and laugh...teach and learn :) It is our culture to show a deep respect to our teachers and we should.

AnnaMagaley, please don't mind -- we shouldn't just read but should learn to listen the words.

(Cerberus, I didn't know that you are a good diplomat too ;))

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #10 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 21:09 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Cerberus™ wrote:
Magaly, if you looked closely at his picture, you probably would not expect Mister Micawber to be Japanese. As you can see in his signature, below every one of his posts, he is a native speaker of English. As you can see below his picture, he is a professional language coach. I would not presume to judge him in this unless I knew the circumstances.
Nevertheless, your standing up for the underdog does you credit. Even so, I am sure Anna did not take it the wrong way; she seems to be a hearty debater with a keen interest in linguistic discussions.

that's what i meant, i wasn't going to be as stupid as to say "you are from japan" because it is obvious that doesn't imply he is Japanese... anyway, I think you have missed my point. Fair enough, he knows more about English grammar than Anna, i appreciate he is an English coach but I just hope you agree with me, it does sound a bit arrogant the way he said Anna she shouldn't be offering advice, when she was just probably trying to be helpful... he didn't probably mean it that way either, so, as you said, let's not make an issue out of this :P
Magaly

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #11 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 21:31 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Hi Cerberus,

Judging by pictures can be misleading. I mean, I assume you are not a dog with three heads!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #12 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 23:29 pm   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

that's actually quite funny because until cerberus didn't point it out, i thought the man in the picture was earl, from "my name is earl" ;)
Magaly

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #13 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:28 am   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Magaly wrote:
that's what i meant, i wasn't going to be as stupid as to say "you are from japan" because it is obvious that doesn't imply he is Japanese... anyway, I think you have missed my point. Fair enough, he knows more about English grammar than Anna, i appreciate he is an English coach but I just hope you agree with me, it does sound a bit arrogant the way he said Anna she shouldn't be offering advice, when she was just probably trying to be helpful... he didn't probably mean it that way either, so, as you said, let's not make an issue out of this :P

Yeah, I see your point, I guess I just felt a sudden urge to speak up for Mr. M.

PS What's wrong with being a three-headed dog? I feel like I am being the victim of racism on this forum! Wroof!
Cerberus™
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #14 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:32 am   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

Never mind Cerberus. Do not get destructed of what others say. I know that you are good inside and out.

"it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you" #15 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:40 am   "it was great meeting you" vs "it was great to meet you"

I quite like your avatar, Cerberus™. And it is much more interesting than mine.

"Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought."
Esl_Expert
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Comparative: Its price is twice as much as your competitor is. | What's the difference between 'except' and 'except for'.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Anything wrong here: 'Also, as a caring individual...'?for vs becauseAbout the contraction: I will have worked. vs I'll've worked?Can I say 'I don't find mistakes in others'?Metaphors: ...if I had already seen a native speaker use it.'Is any of you fond of it?' vs 'Are any of you fond of it?'every third day vs every three daysClient side meaningWhat does 'water-abridged' version of a book mean?Usage of "Bike" and "Cycle" as verbsSentence: Come on people; we haven't got all day. It'll be time to get out...Where I can use "per se"?be and feel