Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

diligence; tenacity; stubbornness; continuation
persistence
percent
perspective
takeover
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Using present simple on story telling? | Numbers: 1200 - 'one thousand two hundred' or 'twelve hundred'?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:36 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

Can someone please tell me what this line means?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

It's a play on word.

Denial sounds like 'de Nile'. (somebody saying 'the Nile' with an accent).

And the Nile is of course a river in Egypt.

There's a country and western song that has a line "Call me Cleopatra, because I'm the queen of denial."
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:43 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

Thanks Skrej!

Can you tell me what it means? Has it got a meaning at all?
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:47 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

It's a kind of joke. If somebody is in denial, they might deny that they're in denial, and pretend that you're talking about the Nile.

So, the Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, denial is a problem you're having with yourself.

For example, If a friend was in denial about something, (for example refusing to admit they'd made a mistake), I could say "Hey, denial isn't just a river in Egypt, you know."
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:53 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

Hello Daemon99,

In my humble opinion(I may be wrong.), denial is not just a river in Egypt could mean: Not only is the Nile a river in Egypt, but it also is the symbol of this Country(Or stand for something else, for instance: love, etc.). It's a metaphor. What do you think?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:58 am   Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

Skrej wrote:
It's a kind of joke. If somebody is in denial, they might deny that they're in denial, and pretend that you're talking about the Nile.

So, the Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, denial is a problem you're having with yourself.

For example, If a friend was in denial about something, (for example refusing to admit they'd made a mistake), I could say "Hey, denial isn't just a river in Egypt, you know."

Thank you for your explanation on this phrase, Skrej. I think I am way off... :oops:

Not just a river... #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:40 am   Not just a river...

To expand on Skrej's answer a bit ---The phrase is a play on the words and it means that someone (the person referred to) is in denial.

Suppose that I'm with two friends and I make a statement like, "My marriage will last forever..." However, the reality is my spouse has moved out and is living with someone else. One of my friends might look at the other one and say, "The Nile (Denial) is not a just a river in Egypt." What he's saying is not only is "the Nile" a river in Egypt, but we also have "Denial" right here. He's saying that I'm in denial about the true state of my marriage. Make sense??
Jim Jim
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Using present simple on story telling? | Numbers: 1200 - 'one thousand two hundred' or 'twelve hundred'?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Present continous tense: I am living with my sister until I find an apartment."Future time" rule on present simple tense?Word order: Not only did I go to Paris but also I visited a lot of other placesUse of gerunds: a settling of debts?Try to help: I have to give TOEFLŪ exam on this saturday...had noticed vs. noticed (conditional)Zero, singular or plural?Police = plural always?May I take a photograph together with you?I just want to check if you are inside the toilet or not because windows...holidays and was/wereprepositions: into / throughPayment for past due