clinging doggedly to an opinion or purpose; stubborn
stoic
ghastly
pertinacious
devious

TOEFL® essay sample: Personal development

TOEFL® essay example: Women's Day | TOEFL® essay sample: Famous place you want to visit.
TOEFL essay sample: Personal development #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 am   TOEFL essay sample: Personal development

Hello everybody

I'm writing some essays. This is my first one with the topic "Personal development". I think my composition makes many mistakes that I don't know. So I hope I'll receive the help of all of you. Please correct my mistakes if you find it. Thank you!

Have you ever thought about personal development? Have you ever mentioned the question what the personal development is and how we must do to improve ourselves? They’re not easy questions to answer.

At first, we’ll find out the answers for the first question: what is the personal development?
Reminisce about our tender ages. When we are children, our parents taught us how to do everything by ourselves; example how to feed ourselves, to do personal hygiene, to express our love to everybody and how to stand up when we tripped and fell down… It’s the first lesson in personal development. Therefore, we can comprehend the concept of personal development. It’s the act of raising the knowledge and realizing ourselves, develop the talent and potentiality. All of the specific fields of personal development aim the improvement of our heart, emotion and mind.
Another question is that do we need personal development?
I believe all of us will answer “yes” when we take this question. Why?
I can say that life always changes and life won’t be comfortable if you don’t do anything for it. Do you feel life creates you or otherwise? Have you ever felt empty in your life? Have you ever tried to change your life but nothing has happended? If yes, that means you need personal development and it’s time for you to improve yourself.

The second, how we must do to improve ourselves?
We may all know the famous saying of Rene Descartes, a French philosopher, methematician, scientist in 17th century: thinking means existing.
All of what you need to do is that realizing yourself, changing yourself and continue to move. All of what you need is only thinking. Thinking means the maneuver of your thought and visibility. Thinking helps us to exist, be admitted and recognized. If we don't innovate ourselves, we won't catch up with life's change and as a result, we will be rejected.

There is a story about Realizing myself I want to tell you.

There is a saying on the wall in the temple that worship the Apollon deity. It says Realize myself. It means human needs to think "What am I? What must I be? What can I be?" And Socrates, a Hellenic philosopher, carries a lantern lightened by the handle, walking everywhere among the crowd in the daytime.
People ask him: "What do you find?"
He answers " Find human"
Everybody is surprised at why he found human with a lightened lantern in the daytime.
It means that If you don't realize yourself, you'll be the same as the person that Socrates had to carry the lightened lantern to find in the daytime.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university science lecture on Island Biogeography
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

TOEFL essay sample: Personal development #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:31 pm   TOEFL essay sample: Personal development

Thunu wrote:
Hello everybody

I'm writing some essays. This is my first one with the topic "Personal development". I think in my composition I might make many mistakes that I don't appreciate. So I hope I'll receive the help of all of you. Please correct my mistakes if you find any. Thank you!

Have you ever thought about personal development? Have you ever thought about what the personal development is, and what we must do to improve ourselves? These are not easy questions to answer.

At first, we’ll find out the answers to the first question: What is personal development?

Reminisce about our tender ages. When we were children, our parents taught us how to do everything by ourselves; for example, how to feed ourselves, how to do personal hygiene, how to express our love to everybody and how to stand up when we tripped and fell down.

It’s the first lesson in personal development. Therefore, we can comprehend the concept of personal development. It’s the act of developing the knowledge and realizing ourselves, developing talent and potential.

All of the specific fields of personal development aim at the improvement of our heart, emotion and mind.

Another question is , do we need personal development?
I believe all of us will answer “Yes” when we hear this question.

Why?

I can say that life always changes, and life won’t be comfortable if you don’t do anything about it.

Do you feel life creates you or otherwise? Have you ever felt empty in your life? Have you ever tried to change your life but nothing has happended? If yes, that means you need personal development and it’s time for you to improve yourself.

The second, what must we do to improve ourselves?

We may all know the famous saying of Rene Descartes, a French philosopher, methematician, scientist in 17th century: " Thinking means existing."

All you need to do is that in realizing yourself, changing yourself and continuing to move.

All you need is to be thinking. Thinking means the maneuver of your thoughts and visibility.

Thinking helps us to exist, be admitted and recognized. If we don't innovate ourselves, we won't catch up with life's change and as a result, we will be rejected.

There is a saying on the wall in the temple that worship the Apollon deity.
It says, " Realize myself." It means human needs to think "What am I? What must I be? What can I be?"

And Socrates, a Hellenic philosopher, carried a lit lantern by the handle, walking everywhere among the crowd in the daytime.

People ask him: "What do you find?"

He answers " Find human"

Everybody is surprised as to how he found a human with a lightened lantern in the daytime.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay sample: Personal development #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 09, 2009 0:57 am   TOEFL essay sample: Personal development

Hi Kitosdad
Thank you very much for correcting my mistakes. I hope I won't reiterate these mistakes anymore.

Many thanks again

Thu
_________________
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

About a question in Longman preparation course for the TOEFL® testLongman TOFEL Paper Test CDSample essay writing for TOEFL®: Believe everything that you read in newspaperTOEFL® essay example: Teachers assign daily homework to studentsIs there anybody take the TOEFL® test on 22th, April 2009?TOEFL® speaking section is no good!TOEFL® essay sample: Should teenagers work?Some tricks for the TOEFL® iBTTOEFL® essay: You are trying to show your emotions or not?TOEFL® essay: Good jobs always need a good ability in any person.TOEFL® essay: Some people spend their entire lives in one place, and some moves...TOEFL® essay about telecommutingCopyright issue of the TOEFL® essays in the forum