Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to couple; to be part one of a match; to mate
mandate
permit
pair
sight
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How will technology licensing benefit a small business? | When do we use 'does'?
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore' #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2005 13:51 pm   Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore'

Test No. errors/elem-6 "Stop making plans", question 10

Today it seems to me that in all kinds of ways nobody cares no more if you want to make a complaint.

(a) it seems
(b) all kinds
(c) no more

Test No. errors/elem-6 "Stop making plans", answer 10

Today it seems to me that in all kinds of ways nobody cares any more if you want to make a complaint.

Correct entry: any more
The error was: (c) no more

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
Today it seems to me that in all kinds of ways nobody cares anymore if you want to make a complaint.

Hi,
I never realised there is a different for the two.
Please explain, thank you.
Dingbb

Any more #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2005 19:11 pm   Any more

This is used here because the negative comes in the pronoun NOBODY and so it's not necessary to repeat it.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Any more #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2005 20:45 pm   Any more

Hi again,

Torsten has just pointed out that your question probably referred to any more or anymore. To be fair both are acceptable and so really your answer isn't wrong. Anymore is mostly used in American English - but it's the same language after all!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore' #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2005 20:58 pm   Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore'

So, we'll add anymore as another correct answer option with the next update.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Going by rail
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

hi #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 29, 2009 14:37 pm   hi

I have some question. When do we use 'anymore' in the sentence? Does it always indicates a negative word like 'nobody'??
Bt_Unlock18
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore' #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:04 am   Difference between 'any more' and 'anymore'

^ Anymore is normally used with negative words. "I don't like soup anymore."

I think the difference between "any more" and "anymore" goes beyond British/American English quirks. "Anymore," as mentioned, implies that something has changed somehow. "Any more" refers to quantity of something; or to a comparison. "I don't have any more crackers." or "I don't like soup any more than I like crackers."
BrianL
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

How will technology licensing benefit a small business? | When do we use 'does'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why 'is' and not 'are'?What does to be bitter mean?What are factions?What is the difference between logistics and warehousing?What does 'cut somebody some slack' mean?What does unwittingly mean?What does 'go wild' mean?What is a southpaw?What does ivory mean?What does not only but also mean?What is the difference between appeared and supposed?What is the difference between but and because?Show off vs. show up?