not functional; not practical
useless
reliable
enough
vivid

got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

There is a... or there are five-six weeks lead time | He was standing outside the cinema wait/waiting for his friends.
got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:07 am   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

Hello

would you please tell me if the following sentences are OK? If so, is there any difference among them?

-I got caught in traffic jam while I was driving home.
-I was stuck in traffic jam while I was driving home.
-I got stuck in traffic jam while I was driving home.

Majid72

Location: Iran

got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:55 am   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

The sentences you asked about are all correct.

However this sentence is not correct: "would you please tell me if the following sentences are OK?" It should start with "W", not "w".

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 20, 2009 14:24 pm   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

Do you not think that "jam" is a coutable noun and requires an article, "a traffic jam"?
_________________
con·text - The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
Milanya

Location: Texas, USA (at present)

got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 20, 2009 14:28 pm   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

Yes. Thank you. I just didn't notice the lack of articles. (I guess I hear foreign speech so much that my mind is now used to it.)

The sentences should correctly be:

-I got caught in a traffic jam while I was driving home.
-I was stuck in a traffic jam while I was driving home.
-I got stuck in a traffic jam while I was driving home.

got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 am   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

Thank you both Jamie and Mialnya for your answer and correction.

But what about the difference among the sentences?

Regards
Majid72

Location: Iran

got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam #6 (permalink) Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 am   got caught in traffic jam vs was stuck in traffic jam

The meanings are largely the same.

Stuck in the traffic jam might imply that you spent a longer period of time in the jam than caught. Stuck sounds a little bit more severe than caught.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Sentence: Sometimes, he prescribes medication in order to help them cope with...How to use 'willing' for the title of a new?Difference between "to Fill in" and "to Fill up"Difference between the Medium Term Planning and The Long Term PlanningArticulated formationSentence: staffs of a bank were taken by surprise from their boss‘s recent actionCould we use 'situation': In the meantime you can tell me something about...?The most painful time of your life is when you see/realize your love who you loveIntroduction: Saudi Arbia, have many colleges schooles and universities...I have to go to tinkertownIf there is an option on Yahoo! to buy emotions and they named it 'Shop Yahoo!'Doubt about Grammer? I am being an engineer - is it correct or not?Differences in usage of 'will' and 'going to'