slope; incline; increase; ascent; raise in position or status; promotion; angry response
rise
service
weight
grocery

Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

ten one-dollars: what do you think? | baggage vs. luggage
Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists... #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 am   Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

Hello everyone,

Could you please explain the sentence below for me? Thanks in advance.

Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists, which can include
anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful.

_________________
Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes in my posts.
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists... #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:36 am   Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

Good morning Shi. I don't really understand the text, but it surely cannot be a statement of fact. Is there more to it ?.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists... #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 am   Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

Good morning Bill,

More contexts:

There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.
_________________
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists... #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 am   Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

Ah, I understand now Shi. I think that the article is pointing out just how thorough scientists are with their findings, and that anything that later proves to be wrong is not necessarily harmful, merely an experiment, whose finding where mistakenly reported as being correct.
_________________

Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists... #5 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:06 am   Sentence: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientists...

Thank you, Bill. :) Your explanation makes it clear to me now. :wink:
_________________
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Prepositions: he works for the state bank or is it correct to say he works at..."for the bank" or "at the bank"this leads me to [a/the] conclusion that...function as a subject: to-infinitive vs. gerundThe passive: A babysitter took care of the baby.Prepositions: Someone has spilled ink on this rug and has burned a hole in...Usage and meaning of "Mish-mash"at what secret cost?Usage of superfluousWhat is the nature of the crime?'it is questionable IF' or 'it is questionable THAT'reasonability or reasonablenessHow to rephrase the meaning: the minister boasted that while thousands...?