degree of difference; promotion of a student to a higher grade
remove
royalties
surface
engineer

Meaning of "drop me a line"

'population lives in poverty' vs 'population lives on poverty' | What does just mean in this sentence?
Meaning of "drop me a line" #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 am   Meaning of "drop me a line"

Test No. express/elem-3 "Take it easy", question 7

Don't forget to drop me a line when you're away.

(a) telephone me
(b) call me
(c) write to me
(d) send me a telegram

Test No. express/elem-3 "Take it easy", answer 7

Don't forget to write to me when you're away.

Correct answer: (c) write to me

Don't forget to telephone me when you're away.
_________________________

why is it incorrect?

Jojo
Jojo

Meaning of 'drop me a line' #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 04, 2005 16:58 pm   Meaning of 'drop me a line'

This means write me (a line).
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Don't forget to drop me a line #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 31, 2006 13:45 pm   Don't forget to drop me a line

Strictly speaking this might have been where the phrase came from but it's fairly informal so people wouldn't take you that litterally.
If someone said that to you they wouldn't be too surprised if you were to call, sms/text, email, etc.
Mike

Drop me a line #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 31, 2006 14:02 pm   Drop me a line

I think you should take it literally because that's exactly what it means - write me (a line). If you were going to use other forms of communication, you would say:

Email me/Phone me/Text me and so on, wouldn't you?

_________________

Drop a line #5 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 16:01 pm   Drop a line

Is this something that is different in the UK vs the US??

I've never heard it used in the context of writing a letter. It may have origins there but changed over time? ie the meaning then was that the person would contact someone (means at the time was a written letter), now however contacting someone on a day to day basis would likely be a phone call or text.

As languages are ever evolving it's really interesting to learn where things came from and this history provides a wonderful depth and understanding - but - there's also value in knowing slang and what the general understanding of a word is, even if it's technically wrong, as this is likely the context students will be communicating in.

Just my two cents :)
Tnels

Meaning of "drop me a line" #6 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 17:10 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

If someone said they were going to drop me a line, I'd expect a letter.
If they said they were going to give me a bell, I'd expect a phone call.
If they said they were going to ping me - I'd expect an e-mail.
_________________

Meaning of "drop me a line" #7 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 17:39 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

Interesting!! Do you know if this a U.S./U.K. difference? I've had roommates from other English speaking countries and we had many conflicting understandings about vocab and phrases... it's always fun to find the different nuances between the cultures!
Tnels

Meaning of "drop me a line" #8 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 18:02 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

To my grandmother, drop me a line meant to send a letter. For my (American) generation, it simply means contact me, usually on the telephone line.
Expatcat

Location: Bonn, Germany

Meaning of "drop me a line" #9 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 19:50 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

Hi Expatcat, so are you saying that in American English drop me a line can mean the following?
- send me a text message
- call me on my on the phone (cell phone as well as land line)
- send me an email
- send me a letter

Also, is there already an American dictionary that has this definition or is used in spoken American English by representatives of your generation only? I've googled the phrase and all I could find was that it means 'written communication'. (drop a line - communicate (with) in writing; "Write her soon, please!")

TOEIC short conversations: HR person reviews work performance of employee.

Meaning of "drop me a line" #10 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 22:07 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

try www.urbandictionary.com

some words are more obscure or just really new but they're usually right!
Tnels

Meaning of "drop me a line" #11 (permalink) Tue May 04, 2010 22:12 pm   Meaning of "drop me a line"

They are certainly a source of new and wondrous information, but I'm not sure I want to know about some of the things they define!!
_________________

Meaning of "drop me a line" #12 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 0:47 am   Meaning of "drop me a line"

Hi Jojo,
I am also a learner but I live in the US. When I have got a conference at Renaissance Hotel, Cleveland Ohio, on the notebook they give to all of us is written 'In case you drop a line...' means that it is a writing expression....Thanks to all of you for having time with us.
_________________
I am looking for a skype partner to practice my English.
Linaseattle

Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Meaning of "drop me a line" #13 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 9:24 am   Meaning of "drop me a line"

Torsten wrote:
- send me a text message
- send me an email
- send me a letter

That is what it means to me, my friends and to most of the people with whom I have conducted informal business. It is used as a simple request for communication. However, I think an English language learner should learn the literal meaning of the phrase, but I would suggest using a more specific request for communication with Americans (insert silly laughing emoticon here).

Torsten wrote:

I just did a quick google search and this is the only site I found that mentions the telephone: allwords.com

I have no idea if that site is reputable. I would also venture a guess that the phrase is in a state of flux.
Expatcat

Location: Bonn, Germany

Wrap up the meeting?Packing up the car?Pack vs. packagePacket vs. packageLaura has cut her own her?Phrase "He has the habit"Why is a quarter an object?Countries? China, Italy and France...'Unlike me' vs 'Different to me'What does snag mean?'A camel is an animal' vs 'A carpet is an animal'Which is the difference between possessor and owner?Which tree it is? Tell me whether it is a correct form of sentence.