Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

outcome; compensation; counterbalance
slump
autograph
offset
quiet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
In public or On public | Why there is no article before the noun?
listening exercisestell a friend
more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning" #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:03 am   more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

hi, is there a more formal way to introduce an idea as compared to "it is worth mentioning..."

i am kinda freaking out about both "worth" and "mentioning"...
Unomyname
You can meet me at english-test.net

more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning" #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 am   more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

Hi,

Your expression is perfectly acceptable. You could make it a little more formal by saying:

It is worth pointing out ....

It is worth talking into consideration....

But these are just variations on the same idea.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning" #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:33 am   more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

so, "worth" is formal enough?

I had this idea that it is implied that whatever I put in the work is worth putting in, so expressly stating that something is worth mentioning does not make any sense...
Unomyname

more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning" #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:56 am   more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

Hi,

'Worth' is fine. If you wanted to express this in a slightly 'wordier' way you can say: There is some value in taking into consideration .. but that's sounding a bt pompous. 'Worth' is perfectly respectable!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning" #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:07 am   more formal way to say "it is worth mentioning"

thank you
Unomyname

In public or On public | Why there is no article before the noun?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Cash FinancingHow to start a formal e-mail? I usually use "dear", but...You are like my hopes that fly drop by dropSentence: I've been smoking.does all verbs in a sentance must in the same time?Difference between bereave and inconsolable'cooler' vs 'more cool' etc.Sentence: for the timely investment from the general public, our company would...Usage of the word "ought"Grammar structure "fail to do something"Different between 'others' and 'some others'get vs take vs bring vs fetchHow to use run-on sentences?