Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

newspaper that is published 5 to 7 times a week
poll
chart
mail
daily
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is the word food singular or plural?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Mr Smith won't probably be available. vs Mr Smith probably won't be available. | How to find the noun from verb or adjective ... and adjectives from verbs?
listening exercisestell a friend
Is the word food singular or plural? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 am   Is the word food singular or plural?

Food is singular or plural .

And also is "foods" a correct word to be used.

In the following sentence is the usage of the word foods correct here because food is refered as it in the next part of sentence. "when they eat it"

Dental caries and gingivitis can be exacerbated not only by what patients eat but also by when they eat it
Anubha

IS Food singular or plural #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm   IS Food singular or plural

I would think of food as singular, and foodstuffs as plural.

" when they eat it ", more likely refers to the time of day, especially before going to bed.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is the word food singular or plural? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm   Is the word food singular or plural?

I'd say foods is an acceptable word and can be used when you are talking about different kinds of food, especially in dietary terms.

For example, what foods do you suggest for a pregnant woman?

Food can be used in abstract sense too, as in the sentence below.

I haven't had food in 2 days.
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

Is the word food singular or plural? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 14:08 pm   Is the word food singular or plural?

"Food" is an uncountable noun.

Uncountable nouns are materials, concepts, information, etc. which are not individual objects and can not be counted.

information, water, understanding, wood, cheese, etc.

Uncountable nouns are always singular. Use the singular form of the verb with uncountable nouns:

There is some water in that pitcher.
That is the equipment we use for the project.

Is the word food singular or plural? #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 14:22 pm   Is the word food singular or plural?

Hi Milanya!

Are you implying that foods doesn't exist or is incorrect?

Here is an excerpt from an article on food on Wikipedia.

Almost all foods are of plant or animal origin, although there are some exceptions. Foods not coming from animal or plant sources include various edible fungi, such as mushrooms. Fungi and ambient bacteria are used in the preparation of fermented and pickled foods such as leavened bread, alcoholic drinks, cheese, pickles, and yogurt. Many cultures eat seaweed, a protist, or blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) such as Spirulina.[1] Additionally, salt is often eaten as a flavoring or preservative, and baking soda is used in food preparation. Both of these are inorganic substances, as is water, an important part of human diet.[/i]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

Is the word food singular or plural? #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 15:22 pm   Is the word food singular or plural?

I think Milanya means that you don't need to use it in the 'plural' form. There's no need to.
InsaneMetal
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Is the word food singular or plural? #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 16:27 pm   Is the word food singular or plural?

Daemon99 wrote:
Are you implying that foods doesn't exist ?

It does exist. One food, two foods, three foods.....etc.

Daemon99 wrote:
Here is an excerpt from an article on food on Wikipedia.
And who is the author of wiki? How far can one trust it?

Quote:
Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world; anyone can edit it. Visitors do not need specialized qualifications to contribute...articles frequently contain significant misinformation, unencyclopedic content, or vandalism. Users need to be aware of this to obtain valid information and avoid misinformation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

I have done some editing myself. There have been awful spelling and grammar errors.

Mr Smith won't probably be available. vs Mr Smith probably won't be available. | How to find the noun from verb or adjective ... and adjectives from verbs?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
use of wouldDiffrence beetween can and mayClose vs shutCould I use "good steel with best processing" to describe a sword?that vs which (There are books that/which explain clearly the usage of tenses.)Alternatives for 'slide down'After he knows the news, I hope he will feel better.Regarding vocabulary: Use the proper words for suitable place.Usage of 'prefer'Verb agreement: On the desk, there are/is a pen and a book.Sentence: All the substances in the world exist in one of the three states...Sentence: Almost no commentator that has ever written about (ice cream),...quite vs very