Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

clear; unmistakable; apparent; evident; plain
elect
tremendous
current
obvious
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'next to' vs 'beside'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I'm self-control" OR "I'm self-controlled"? | tense, since 1992 and got married the next year.
listening exercisestell a friend
'next to' vs 'beside' #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 14, 2009 13:35 pm   'next to' vs 'beside'

1) Say you are travelling in a car with your friend. Your friend is driving and you are sitting next to him.
2) Say you are travelling in a car with your friend. Your friend is driving and you are sitting beside him.

Can someone please tell me which of the above two paras is correct? Please tell me the difference between next to, beside and adjacent.

Also, is the use of paras alright here?
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

'next to' vs 'beside' #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 14, 2009 13:43 pm   'next to' vs 'beside'

Hi Daemon,

With seats and chairs with people I would use 'sit beside' 'Next to' usually suggests proximity in a line or row as in: The shop is next to the railway station. We were sitting in row G next to one another, next to the exit.

'Adjacent to' is usually with rooms and buildings and the like suggesting 'situated near to'.

'Paras' is all right.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
I'm self-control" OR "I'm self-controlled"? | tense, since 1992 and got married the next year.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"Don't use A, B, and C" vs "Don't use A, B, or C"Sentence: It takes one to know one.Prepositions "for" or "to" in direct and indirect objects.Meaning of "gone into one another"Meaning of stone cold... hot off the price?Sentence: I'm doing some work down at the library.Love wound can hurt my heart the most vs Love wound can most hurt my heartHow to read '1,040'?Letter: How is your family getting on? If you can send your family photograph...Induction: Thank you for your interest in this job in order to complete your...Is grammar made difficult on purpose?she has built or she built?His wife had two babies at the first time OR for the first time?