Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to cause to become involved in; to arouse curiosity
interest
qualify
reveal
ensure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "clingy" mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/advan-145, Question 4 | explian a sentence
listening exercisestell a friend
What does "clingy" mean? #1 (permalink) Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 am   What does "clingy" mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #591 "Real Life: Personalities (2)", question 7

I went out with Diane a few times but I found her to be very .......... She seems desperate to make friends and, after only one date, she told me that had already developed a very strong emotional attachment for me. She's kind of scary, actually.

(a) spontaneous
(b) clingy
(c) practical
(d) independent

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #591 "Real Life: Personalities (2)", answer 7

I went out with Diane a few times but I found her to be very clingy. She seems desperate to make friends and, after only one date, she told me that had already developed a very strong emotional attachment for me. She's kind of scary, actually.

Correct answer: (b) clingy

Your answer was: incorrect
I went out with Diane a few times but I found her to be very spontaneous. She seems desperate to make friends and, after only one date, she told me that had already developed a very strong emotional attachment for me. She's kind of scary, actually.

Can you tell me what " clingy" means ?
Maple_Leaf
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does "clingy" mean? #2 (permalink) Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 am   What does "clingy" mean?

'Clingy' refers to someone who is very emotionally needy or dependent. They tend to be unable to spend time alone or by themselves, and need constant assurances that they're appreciated.

The word comes from the verb 'to cling'
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does "clingy" mean? #3 (permalink) Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am   What does "clingy" mean?

thank you very much !
Maple_Leaf

What does "clingy" mean? #4 (permalink) Tue May 05, 2009 2:56 am   What does "clingy" mean?

Hi Maple Leaf,
Clingy has a few meanings that I can think of. First it can be used to describe a person who is insecure in a new situation and staying close to friends, to help them feel comfortable. It can also be used to describe clothing that is a tight fit on the skin.
Phil
Phil

What does "clingy" mean? #5 (permalink) Tue May 05, 2009 5:20 am   What does "clingy" mean?

thanks , Phil
Maple_Leaf

What does "clingy" mean? #6 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:02 am   What does "clingy" mean?

Hello,

Quote:
I went out with Diane a few times but I found her to be very clingy. She seems desperate to make friends and, after only one date, she told me that had already developed a very strong emotional attachment for me. She's kind of scary, actually.

Should we insert a word "she" immediately after "she told me that" in the second sentence of the test paragraph, please?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.♦
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does "clingy" mean? #7 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2010 18:09 pm   What does "clingy" mean?

Hi Bhikku,

We certainly should... and I have done so, though it won't register until the next server update.

Thanks.
Language Coach

What does "clingy" mean? #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 am   What does "clingy" mean?

Hello Beeesneees,

Thank you for your clarification. At first I was wondering whether the “that’ was a conjunction or a pronoun referring to the antecedent “after only one date” since it is common to leave out the conjunction “that” in sentences. In other words, the sentence should have been like this:

She seems desperate to make friends and, after only one date, she told me that that had already developed a very strong emotional attachment for me.

Once again, thank you for clarifying my problem. Goodbye!

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

Test incompl/advan-145, Question 4 | explian a sentence
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Question about colloquial expressionTest incompl/elem-174, Question 3Test incompl/advan-131, Answer 5estimate vs. estimatedcataclismic vs. cataclysmicWhat are fog machines?appropriate/noble/becominga question about a part of a reading sectionreacting to the candidate's responses with silenceWould have brought/ Had broughtTest incompl/inter-154, Question 7English Grammar Exercises::Advanced Tests::Naples, ItalyTest incompl/advan-743, Question 1