spot; tip; essence; gist; matter
disclaimer
point
crux
arrest

Meaning of need not

Difference between 'will' and 'would' | on the verge of and to be about to
Meaning of need not #1 (permalink) Sat May 02, 2009 0:20 am   Meaning of need not

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "need not" in the following context:

Consequently the institution of Ombudsman and its supporting institution, the Centre, both rest on executive Decrees which may give rise to serious concerns in terms of the independence of the body. The need to Ďanchorí the institution of Ombudsman in the Constitution of XXX has been pointed out by the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe (Venice Commission). It has been recommended that the constitutional text need not contain detailed provisions of the Ombudsman institution and be limited to granting the entity a constitutional status.

Does "need not" mean that (according to the recommendation) it is not necessary for the constitutional text to contain detailed provisions, or does it mean that it is obligatory for the constitutional text not to contain such provisions?
Klpno

Meaning of need not #2 (permalink) Sat May 02, 2009 6:02 am   Meaning of need not

.
Need not = doesn't need to = is unnecessary to

It has been recommended that (1) the text need not contain detailed provisions.. and (2) [that the text] be limited to granting the entity a constitutional status.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of need not #3 (permalink) Sat May 02, 2009 12:02 pm   Meaning of need not

Thank you very much, Mister Micawber.
Klpno

Analysing language - problem defining meaning.Phrase: Why didn't you turn up for work yesterday?Paragraph: Forecasting is used to generate information products that aid in...Meaning of integrateDifferent between continue to work or continue workingMeaning of "operational details"Usage of future tensePhrase: The budget process encourages the various sections of an organization...Help with assesment of the writing samples for the IELTSPrefixes and suffixes: -dis, -un, -im, -in, -ir; -ful, -ness, -less, -ion, -y, -aMeaning of "Tim lapsed into a frosty silence"Infinitive without 'to': Mr Richardson did not agree that the budget be increasedApplication in English (Bewerbung auf Englisch)