negotiation; settlement; business deal
decrease
grooming
transaction
period

Car hood vs. car bonnet

sharing | Meaning of "abandon"
Car hood vs. car bonnet #1 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 13:39 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

How does the term 'car bonnet' sound to Americans and how does 'car hood' sound to British people? I mean how familiar are you with those words?

TOEIC listening, question-response: It's been a tough week, hasn't it?

Car hood vs. car bonnet #2 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 13:54 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Good afternoon Torsten, Car bonnet is the only reference you will ever hear in England, Same with car boot .. never car trunk.

Bill.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Car hood vs. car bonnet #3 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 13:58 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

We only have car bonnets and car boots here in Ireland, too.

For a long time I was puzzled when I read the term car trunk somewhere.

To me a trunk is a large suitcase. :)
_________________
No comment
Shyone

Car hood vs. car bonnet #4 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 14:00 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. What if you watch an American movie or TV show and the word 'hood' or 'trunk' is mentioned? How do British people react to that?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where will the convention be held this year?

Car hood vs. car bonnet #5 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 14:13 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

When Americans hear "car bonnet", it sounds like the Amish somehow started allowing their adherents to drive cars, or that it's a term derived from some part of a horse-drawn buggy.

If Americans hear "car boot", it's likely to sound like a tire boot, one of those weights the police lock onto the wheel of your car to prevent you from driving it away.

However, any American who knows anything about cars will understand those terms, but he will probably imagine the driver to be a grey-haired man in a tweed coat and a green cap that's squashed down in the front.

If you google "car hood" asking for only UK sites, you will see that in Britain the term means the soft roof of a convertible.

At street level, people call car parts whatever they have always called them, but working with the automotive industry, I can see that many of the specifically American terms have become international and have to be "translated" specifically for UK consumers.

Car hood vs. car bonnet #6 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 15:54 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Torsten, we do understand the terms, but we choose never to use them.

Similarly " tire " is to wear down. ( with work )

Trust the Americans! If you don't have a language of your own, invent one, or easier yet, steal one.
_________________

Car hood vs. car bonnet #7 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 17:19 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

More like, perfect one, save it from obscurity, and make it predominant the world over.

No need to thank us, we did it for us, not you limeys. You just get a free ride on our coattails.

Come to think of it, we should probably charge Britain a licensing fee or something.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Car hood vs. car bonnet #8 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 17:41 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Kitosdad is really funny in his anti-American obsession, or as the famous French writer Jean-François Revel called it in his great book, "le syndrome anti-américain". And he's really out of his depth when he starts pontificating and moralizing on linguistic issues.

The English drove large numbers of people from their own country, either through oppression or exile. These people were originally largely monolingual English speakers, and they planted their own native language on the American continent. Despite the facts of history, you now get British subnormals who seem to think that Americans originally spoke Esperanto, Volapük, Tokpisin, Igbo or some other obscure language, or maybe no language, until they one day decided to heist the language the British were speaking.

You see, languages can be "stolen", just like the wallet out of your pocket, and the "thieves" are guilty criminals. But oddly enough, after someone "steals" your language, you still have it. It's the first theft in history in which the victim remains in possession of what has been stolen.

These are irrational emotions typical of some citizens of eclipsed empires, and they're not that different from the opinions propagated by the Ku Klux Klan or the neo-Nazis. They have their source in similar psychic pain.

Car hood vs. car bonnet #9 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:02 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Should we send the royalties to Filidelfia ? The next we'll hear is that the Yanks invented the auto-mobile, conveniently forgetting the French, the Scots, and the two Germans who were way ahead of the good old US of A.

Whatever next ?

ps, I now have subnormal to add to my list of insults ... Thanks.
_________________

Car hood vs. car bonnet #10 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:03 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Yeah, it's fun to tweak his nose. You'll note he never attempts to castigate the Irish, Scots, or Aussies for their uh, ("bastardization", I believe was the exact term he used) of the English language?

Personally, I suspect he was denied a residency visa, and is having a case of sour grapes. Or else he hates himself for wanting to move here, and attacks us in some kind of Freudian subliminal attempt to reconcile his true feelings with what he wishes to hide from the world.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody has attacked Americans out of jealousy.

What say, Kitosdad? Need a citizenship sponsor? Learn some proper vocabulary, and maybe I could put in a good word for you with INS. Probably be less work teaching you English than it is my students. And I've got a couple of older students too, so the slower learning pace won't hamper us at all.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Car hood vs. car bonnet #11 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:15 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Sorry, any American who knows about cars understands that the automobile was invented in several different places at the same time. The Americans were simply the first to manufacture cars on a production line.

I have recently read an advertisement from Scotland claiming that TV was invented there. And it certainly was, but not the TV that was finally adopted for use. A Scot invented a mechanical TV system -- I believe it was even color TV -- but when he went to an exposition in the US and saw electronic TV, he realized his mechanical TV had no future, and he gave it up.

Many Americans think that the telephone was invented by an American, but it was first invented by a German. The German academy of sciences laughed him out of the hall and told him not to waste their time with such a useless invention. Then a Scot invented his version of it in the US, and it was the Americans who saw and developed its potential.

Once a Brazilian told me that a Brazilian was the first person to build and fly in an airplane. When I told her that the Wright brothers had flown a couple of years before him, she snapped, "BUT NOBODY SAW THEM!"

A Russian once claimed to me that a Russian had invented the first airplane, and that it was steam powered. I looked up the information and found that this Russian had indeed invented a steam-powered plane, but it wouldn't fly unless you dragged it up a mountain and pushed it off.

Car hood vs. car bonnet #12 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:15 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

Skrej, the last thing I would ever want is to go to America. There are more than enough of you jerks swanning around London .

Anyway, I'm obviously out of my depth here talking to you two scholars. I think I had better scarper before you start proffering violence toward an old pensioner.

Kitosdad.
_________________

Car hood vs. car bonnet #13 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:17 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

I find this feud increasingly embarrassing in a public forum.

Perhaps it would be a better idea to take it to private mail.

Neither of you is making a good impression on newcomers.
_________________
No comment
Shyone

Car hood vs. car bonnet #14 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:38 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

I find it quaint that there is always this absurd over reaction when remarks are made about the differences between two versions of English.

More like, perfect one, save it from obscurity, and make it predominant the world over
Come off it!

_________________

Car hood vs. car bonnet #15 (permalink) Wed May 06, 2009 18:41 pm   Car hood vs. car bonnet

At last Alan. I thought you had fallen asleep in that comfy chair of yours. Let's get a real scholar involved, by all means.
_________________

sharing | Meaning of "abandon"
The Board will throw their book at you.Future ESL Teacher needs advicebotherIt physically carves out conversation space for one.up toprelate vs communicate?cushy seatoutPlease correct the sentenceI haven't any pens vs. I don't have any pens.distracted by bad influenceas ~ as ~ can beIs this a funny joke?