to let; to enable; to allow; to authorize; to sanction
instruct
permit
accelerate
owe

Odds and ends?

What does aisles mean? | before vs although
Odds and ends? #1 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 am   Odds and ends?

ESL/EFL Test #720 "Real Life: Common Word Pairs in North America (1)", question 5

I had to take care of some odds and ......... today. It felt like I was running around all day.

(a) ends
(b) ears
(c) evens
(d) toads

ESL/EFL Test #720 "Real Life: Common Word Pairs in North America (1)", answer 5

I had to take care of some odds and ends today. It felt like I was running around all day.

Correct answer: (a) ends

I had to take care of some odds and evens today. It felt like I was running around all day.
_________________________

would it possible to explain more since both of the words are characteristic of the numbers unless those ysed together as an idiom.
Oddy

Odds and ends? #2 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 am   Odds and ends?

Good morning Oddy. Odds and ends refers, in this instance, to a number of small jobs or duties that have to be given attention. Not important things, but necessary to be done.

Like writing a letter, weeding the garden, washing the car ... things of that nature.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Odds and ends? #3 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 15:11 pm   Odds and ends?

I'm not sure of the etymology of this idiom, but I suspect it may also be related to two other idioms. Even if it's not related, I think these two other idioms will help clarify the meaning of 'odds and ends".

"to do odd jobs" -to do minor tasks or small jobs
"tie up loose ends" - complete unfinished tasks or business.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Odds and ends? #4 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 15:22 pm   Odds and ends?

Odds and ends in another context could refer to sorting out your personal belonging prior to throwing out the various odds and ends that you no longer need.

Pens, photos, ..........................single socks. :) :) Always turn up those.
_________________

Shouldn't it be Chris ... want his wife to join him?What is the meaning of "mussel"?reluctant vs avoidingWhat does 'hold over' mean?The supreme court will hear a case if it meets what criteria?Idiom "back on our feet"What does priceless mean?What does go down on one knee mean?simple past of irregular verbsWhat does let me see mean?What is an eccentric person?What does 'set in stone' mean?Tell me what does that say? vs Tell me what that say.