establisher; organization or channel; person who gives authorization to operate a channel
franchise
conference
regard
founder

Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence'

'All country codes" OR "All countries codes" | To lose sense of time.
Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence' #1 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 17:02 pm   Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence'

please tell me what is grammatically correct "keep silent or keep silence"please let me know the reason also thanx
ambarey
Ambarey

correct usage #2 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 17:08 pm   correct usage

I am really fed-up................................ NO!
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
correct usage #3 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 18:15 pm   correct usage

Ambarey, you are obviously intelligent and well versed in English terminology.Why the hell are you setting such an extremely bad example to students with your grammatically horrendous post. We are all wasting our time here with people like you posting on this Forum.

Kitosdad.
_________________

Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence' #4 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 18:25 pm   Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence'

Kitosdad is perfectly right:

Where is your punctuation?

Here in this forum people say 'please' not 'please'.

We also use 'thank you' instead of 'thanx'. While 'thanks' is quite acceptable, 'thanx' is not.

You will have to adjust to these standards or you will always stick out as a bad example.
_________________
No comment
Shyone

Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence' #5 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 19:22 pm   Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence'

Hello Ambarey,

I believe that both are okay.
ForOneSucks

Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence' #6 (permalink) Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 am   Correct usage of 'keep silent or keep silence'

We keep silent when we don't want our parents to hear us tip-toeing into the kitchen for a midnight snack. We keep silent when there's a murderer in the house and we don't want him to be aware of our existence.

We MAINTAIN silence when we're Marines under orders to be as quiet as possible.

Opinions are like a$$holes -- everyone has one -- and this is a fine line... but in my experience, we keep silent and the military maintains silence. I have very, very rarely heard the phrase "keep silence".

Keep/remain silent, IMO, is generally the phrase to use.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

correct usage #7 (permalink) Thu May 21, 2009 14:52 pm   correct usage

Mr Kitosdad,

I accept that the shortforms I used in my post are not proper English words but this is a way of communicating faster on the net. Since this is an formal forum and I respect it, I will keep it in mind for future correspondence.

I would also like to tell you that your mail was highly unpolished and rude to the core. You need to learn how to communicate on formal forums. We all need to learn something or the other so lets be polite in teaching. You please learn to mind your language while communicating on such formal forums as people you are communicating with are not your friends.

Ambarey.
Ambarey

Such vs So (These are not such good books as the ones they have.)What is the difference between 'shame' and 'ashamed'?A couple of confusing wordsEnlighten -- give light or knowledge?whether vs ifKeeping well in "I hope you're all keeping well"What tense should I use to refer to an event that happen before other in...?Usage of 'if'When we register on www.english-test.net we have to fill in the blanksHello! I thought english-test.net had been hacked. What happened?!difference between RATHER and FAIRLYfollow vs follow oninfected with, infected by