realization; carrying out; performing; putting into effect; execution
implementation
index
tool
situation

After Pimsleur?

ESL Forums | Pimsleur Method
Can I learn 2 languages at the same time? | Pimsleur method and core vocabulary
After Pimsleur? #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 24, 2005 20:05 pm   After Pimsleur?

I am almost finished level 3 of Pimsleur French and have been enjoying it immensely. I would like to continue learning more french after I finish the Pimsleur program (especially increasing my vocabulary) and was wondering which language course would be best to move towards.
I would LOVE a Level 4 Pimsleur French! :-)
Toby
paulandtoby

PImsleur French #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 24, 2005 20:33 pm   PImsleur French

Hi Toby,

Maybe there will be a fourth level of Pimsleur French some day. In the meantime you might want to try and get some French audio books.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Two firemen

After Pimsleur? #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2005 18:21 pm   After Pimsleur?

paulandtoby wrote:
Toby

You can also watch French movies, without the subtitles. And DVD's often have a french soundtrack so you can then watch favourite movies you know well, but in french.

PImsleur French #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 28, 2005 16:40 pm   PImsleur French

Torsten wrote:
Hi Toby,

Yeah, that was what I did for English-listening to audio books, it really helped me improve a lot.
Cooliegirly

After Pimsleur #5 (permalink) Sun Jan 08, 2006 14:45 pm   After Pimsleur

When deciding what to do after the Pimsleur programs, you have to consider what the Pismleur programs really do, and what the gaps are.

Pimsleur programs give you a lot of common phrases, and they help you learn to manipulate and vary some of them. However, they do not give you a comprehensive enough foundation in French to begin processing things like French audiobooks or movies, or to really communicate in French. What you need to do, therefore, is to get something that will start you out in French over again in a fuller, deeper way, and that will give you a better command of the structure.

For this purpose, I think the old US Foreign Service Institute (FSI) courses are ideal. At the beginning, you may think, "I know all this stuff!" but very quickly they get to more sophisticated language, and your French will improve quickly.

These FSI courses are copyright free, so they're available in many places at many different prices. Probably the cheapest way to get French is to buy Barron's "Mastering French". It's the FSI French Basic Course repackaged and relabelled. The course is also available from various mail-order houses (e.g., http://multilingualbooks.com) and from the US government (www.ntis.gov).

If you can't get that, CLE International in France has some really nice materials you could self-teach from (http://www.cle-inter.com/catalogue_eng.htm). Make sure you get the audio CDs with them.

Whatever you do, after Pimsleur III, I think you should start with beginning materials from other publishers, because the end of Pimsleur is the beginning of your language learning. And get yourself a grammar book. I don't care if you don't like grammar; it's good for you.

Good luck!
Jamie (K.)

After Pimsleur? #6 (permalink) Mon May 03, 2010 5:34 am   After Pimsleur?

You can also go to fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=French FSI free courses
Mndbnks

After Pimsleur? #7 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 15:54 pm   After Pimsleur?

Anyone tried Pimsleur for Italian? I wonder how well that works...I might buy it.
Krudi

Location: Moscow

ESL Forums | Pimsleur Method All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on Pimsleur Forums
50% OFF Black Friday Sale plus FREE SHIPPING on Pimsleur's CD Language CoursesAssimil methodDuring Pimsleur approach--Additional resources?I don't know how to install Rosetta Stone?Using pictures by learning language with Pimsleurabout polysemyHow to learn two languages at the same time effitivelyBig 50% off Holiday Sale over at pimsleur.comPausing during Pimsleur lessonslistening problemWhat are the goPimsleur series coming out?How many tracks in every Pimsleur French CD?The best language combination! (for me...)