marked with narrow bands of contrasting color or texture
tall
difficult
available
striped

Expression: That is too much

what does cling and clung mean? | question about "what"
Expression: That is too much #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 29, 2005 13:06 pm   Expression: That is too much

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", question 6

It's a very rare case indeed if a serious earthquake takes place in that country.

(a) case
(b) if
(c) serious
(d) takes place

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 6

It's a very rare occurrence indeed if a serious earthquake takes place in that country.

Correct entry: occurrence
The error was: (a) case

You have not found the error.
It's a very rare case indeed that a serious earthquake takes place in that country.
_________________________

It's a very rare occurrence indeed IF (????) a serious earthquake takes place in that country

I would have expected a THAT
udo vollrath
udo vollrath

That #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 29, 2005 13:54 pm   That

That is asking too much!
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
That is too much #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 14, 2008 16:38 pm   That is too much

How about "case" here? why is it wrong?
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Expression: That is too much #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 15, 2008 15:58 pm   Expression: That is too much

Could any body please answer my question?
Thank you in advance.
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Expression: That is too much #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 15, 2008 18:55 pm   Expression: That is too much

The statement is about something happening (occurrence) and not an example (case).

_________________

Expression: That is too much #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 16, 2008 16:44 pm   Expression: That is too much

But "case" doesn't just mean "example", it also means "situation", and so I think it it quite all right to use "case" here with that meaning. :o
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Expression: That is too much #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 16, 2008 20:00 pm   Expression: That is too much

Hi Nessie,

Let's please not argue about this! The error tests are the most difficult to create because of the choice of the exact word in the tester's mind but I believe that 'occurrence' suggesting what has happened/what will happen is best suited here.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Expression: That is too much #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 17, 2008 17:01 pm   Expression: That is too much

Hi Nessie

I agree with Alan that occurrence is better. I think it is more appropriate because the sentence refers to the possibility of an unexpected event (earthquake) happening/taking place.

Maybe looking at the definitions of occur and occurrence will help:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=54863&dict=CALD
.
_________________

Are you sure the main verb should be 'agree' and not 'argue'?meaning of joggingMeaning of "he radio play is on the air later tonight""looked at" vs "looked up to"The word 'moved' is wrong in this sentence unless you pick a different word...what does the word dreading mean?what does "bungee jumping " mean?What does 'major problem' mean?What does the phrasal verb 'get along' mean?difference between 'fortell' and 'forcast'what is the meaning of the idiom dress down?Expression: to make a phone call home'baggage claim' vs 'baggage reclaim'