marked with narrow bands of contrasting color or texture
tall
difficult
available
striped

Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
Hello! I'm Refniza Yanti. Everybody usually calls me "Yes". | Use of time (All students are advised to be present in/on time.)
Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 am   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

Dear All,

Please, can anyone explain me about simple past and present perfect and how to make difference between these two tenses.

Thanks in advance :D
Shaik

Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 am   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

Shaik wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks in advance :D

Hello, Shaik,

I try to expain you the difference between these two tenses.

The Simple Past is used to talk about an action or a situation or an event that happens in the past and is completely finished in the past and dated.

The Present Perfect it's used for an event that take place in the past but is still in progress in the present or have an effect on the present.

I give you an example :

I have eaten all the cake. (It is one action in the past;and the result is there is no more cake, so Present Perfect).

Another example more clear I think:

I lived in France for ten years. (Simple Past, action finished because now I live in another country, England for example).

I have lived in France for ten years. (Present Perfect tense, action beginning in the past but have an effect in the present, I'm still living in France).

I hope it's now clear.

Have a nice day. :o
_________________
Do not hesitate to correct me.
The French

Location: France -Normandie

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:48 am   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

Thanks for the reply,
could you explain me, about below two sentences.

I ete all the cake - Simple Past (completed action).
I have eaten all the cake - Present Perfect(completed action).

Shaik

Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #4 (permalink) Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:58 am   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

Shaik wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

I ate all the cake.

In both case the cake is your stomack but, in Simple Past tense the writer of sentence don't want to show a difference between the past and the present.

With the Present Perfect tense the writter wants to show us the result of the action.(to insist of the fact-there is no more cake).

Example:

You are speaking to someone in your flat, example your girlfriend, if you use the Present Perfect tense you explain to this person that you have eaten all the cake, and the conclusion for your girlfriend in her mind, she cannot eat no more cake now.

The Present Perfect tense is used to show a connection between the past and the present, about a experience of live, a change or new situation, or a continuing situation between past and presen.

The Simple Past it's more easy, you eat the cake, but you don't want to show the result or for you is it not important.

But I think you need to keep in your mind, that there is a connection between the two times.

The Present Perfect is more used in England than in America.

For me, it's a like difficult too, because I'm French.

But there some little words little since or ago, who help you to put the Present Perfect or the Simple past.

Is it much clear now?

Bye
_________________
Do not hesitate to correct me.
The French

Location: France -Normandie

Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:15 am   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

Yaa, my doubt was cleared.Thanks a lot for your explanation.
Shaik

Difference between Simple past and Present perfect #6 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 17:56 pm   Difference between Simple past and Present perfect

i have cooked nice food
ten years back i remember one day i cooked nice food
Kareem

ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Parts of speech and sentence meaningCebu English Language School - CELIWhat time is it?A diary in EnglishNegative sentences: I don't practice to speack Engish...Be wise: Surely, health, happiness and all good things,...Syntax and punctuation'Interested' in personal profileUse of 'Has been' (My Address has been changed. vs My address is changed.)An excellent English course at a very nominal rate!Hello everybody! I am Lidiya...what's the different: Learn and study. vs Speak, tell and say.Hi, I am Xavisane. I am from India, form the state of Tamil Nadu.