reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible

surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

"like best" and "like most" | Chungaloones
surprise, astonish, amaze and astound #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am   surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

Hello

Could you please tell me the difference between 'surprise,astonish, amaze and astound"?

Thanks a lot.
Majid72

Location: Iran

surprise, astonish, amaze and astound #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 am   surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

surprise- . to strike or occur to with a sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment, as through unexpectedness
astonish - –verb (used with object) to fill with sudden and overpowering surprise or wonder; amaze: (greatly surprise)
amaze–verb (used with object) 1. to overwhelm with surprise or sudden wonder; astonish greatly.
(amaze ans astonish are synonyms)
astound - –verb (used with object) to overwhelm with amazement; astonish greatly; shock with wonder or surprise.

Your friend dictionary.com
_________________
con·text - The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
Milanya

Location: Texas, USA (at present)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Anything wrong with this paragraph?Use of 'OF' (I will recount the story of how it happened to my boss.)Usage of 'morning'100 euro or euros?the meaning of preposition "until"Usage of 'made to be' - This instrument was made to be heat-resistant.Phrase "To play down the role"Expression: See the moonRelative clause: Can I put this/that in front of the noun modified by the clause?What does the phrase 'friends in diaster' mean?Usage of Ya, Yeah, Yo, YepPhrase: "Did she called you?"The meaning of the expression "to keep nix"