Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"like best" and "like most" | Chungaloones
listening exercisestell a friend
surprise, astonish, amaze and astound #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am   surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

Hello

Could you please tell me the difference between 'surprise,astonish, amaze and astound"?

Thanks a lot.
Majid72
I'm here quite often ;-)

surprise, astonish, amaze and astound #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 am   surprise, astonish, amaze and astound

surprise- . to strike or occur to with a sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment, as through unexpectedness
astonish - –verb (used with object) to fill with sudden and overpowering surprise or wonder; amaze: (greatly surprise)
amaze–verb (used with object) 1. to overwhelm with surprise or sudden wonder; astonish greatly.
(amaze ans astonish are synonyms)
astound - –verb (used with object) to overwhelm with amazement; astonish greatly; shock with wonder or surprise.

Your friend dictionary.com

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"like best" and "like most" | Chungaloones
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Anything wrong with this paragraph?Use of 'OF' (I will recount the story of how it happened to my boss.)Usage of 'morning'100 euro or euros?the meaning of preposition "until"Usage of 'made to be' - This instrument was made to be heat-resistant.Phrase "To play down the role"Expression: See the moonRelative clause: Can I put this/that in front of the noun modified by the clause?What does the phrase 'friends in diaster' mean?Usage of Ya, Yeah, Yo, YepPhrase: "Did she called you?"The meaning of the expression "to keep nix"