sports shoe; one who moves about stealthily; one who acts furtively
erasure
accomplishment
sneakers
bankruptcy

Meaning of "wearing many hats"

Coherent vs. convoluted | It's raining cats and dogs
Meaning of "wearing many hats" #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:50 pm   Meaning of "wearing many hats"

Test No. incompl/advan-41 "Talking through his hat", question 10

In his present job there are so many different responsibilities involved that he has to ......... several hats.

(a) take
(b) put
(c) wear
(d) dress

Test No. incompl/advan-41 "Talking through his hat", answer 10

In his present job there are so many different responsibilities involved that he has to wear several hats.

Correct answer: (c) wear

Your answer was: n/a
_________________________

hello,
" to wear several hats" means "to undertake much work". Am I right?
thank you
Strongpeter

Meaning of 'wearing many hats' #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 14:24 pm   Meaning of 'wearing many hats'

Yes, that's what it means in a sense - doing a lot of work. It suggests that the person wearing many hats has a lot of different responsibilities and with each change of hat almost becomes a different person.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Relative pronouns that and whichLaw of the jungle rulesMeaning of 'trodden'What is the difference between step out and step down?Difference between 'turn in' and 'turn down'I'm with you all the wayAsking too muchI'm afraid notDifference between must and have to?Difference between accept and agreeAt the momentDifference between prior to and beforeMeaning of 'hitchhike'