Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sports shoe; one who moves about stealthily; one who acts furtively
erasure
accomplishment
sneakers
bankruptcy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "wearing many hats"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Coherent vs. convoluted | It's raining cats and dogs
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of "wearing many hats" #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:50 pm   Meaning of "wearing many hats"

Test No. incompl/advan-41 "Talking through his hat", question 10

In his present job there are so many different responsibilities involved that he has to ......... several hats.

(a) take
(b) put
(c) wear
(d) dress

Test No. incompl/advan-41 "Talking through his hat", answer 10

In his present job there are so many different responsibilities involved that he has to wear several hats.

Correct answer: (c) wear

Your answer was: n/a

hello,
" to wear several hats" means "to undertake much work". Am I right?
thank you
Strongpeter

Meaning of 'wearing many hats' #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 14:24 pm   Meaning of 'wearing many hats'

Yes, that's what it means in a sense - doing a lot of work. It suggests that the person wearing many hats has a lot of different responsibilities and with each change of hat almost becomes a different person.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Coherent vs. convoluted | It's raining cats and dogs
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Relative pronouns that and whichLaw of the jungle rulesMeaning of 'trodden'What is the difference between step out and step down?Difference between 'turn in' and 'turn down'I'm with you all the wayAsking too muchI'm afraid notDifference between must and have to?Difference between accept and agreeAt the momentDifference between prior to and beforeMeaning of 'hitchhike'