clearly; unmistakably; plainly; apparently
drastically
obviously
good
downward

Why use "running against" in this sentence?

Meaning of "cable service" | 'I like to idea of online shopping' vs 'I like the idea of online shopping'
Why use "running against" in this sentence? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:49 am   Why use "running against" in this sentence?

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'run'", question 1

The Australian Labour Party doesn't currently have any politicians that would be capable of successfully ......... the Prime Minister at the next federal election.

(a) running away with
(b) running for
(c) running against
(d) running down

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'run'", answer 1

The Australian Labour Party doesn't currently have any politicians that would be capable of successfully running against the Prime Minister at the next federal election.

Correct answer: (c) running against

_________________________

Mickey

Why use "running against" in this sentence? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:38 am   Why use "running against" in this sentence?

Good morning Mickey. It suggests that there is no-one who could run ( compete) against the present Prime Minister in ousting him from power, either by their policies or their popularity with the voting public.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "catch-ups"After a person or entity files bankruptcy any new debt incurred is called what?Meaning of "Veg out"Meaning of "taking care of business"Meaning of "Akin to"What is a 'French press'?What's the meaning of intently?Organisations that were plotting to overthrow the kind were destroyed root and...Phrase: I wonder if the store I bought it at carries the newest models.Sentence: Personalize it depending on each personality and charactersWhat is a pro forma invoice?Usage of "off" - I get two days off.Are you still there today June 2009 the 8th?