Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

hyphen; drop; pinch; rush; sprint
dash
readiness
scratch
firm
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between time and duration | A 10 item or less lane?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:26 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

Test No. incompl/inter-47 "Speaking 4 (The Broadcast)", question 2

Hi listeners, I should explain that I have a ......... eye view of this magnificent sight as the parade passes underneath me.

(a) cat's
(b) dog's
(c) bird's
(d) rat's

Test No. incompl/inter-47 "Speaking 4 (The Broadcast)", answer 2

Hi listeners, I should explain that I have a bird's eye view of this magnificent sight as the parade passes underneath me.

Correct answer: (c) bird's

Can you please explain me your answer.

garys
garys

Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:51 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

This is an expression meaning what you would see if you were high in the sky like a bird looking down.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:49 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

Alan wrote:
This is an expression meaning what you would see if you were high in the sky like a bird looking down.

does this sentence mean that the speaker is not sure about what he is talking? please explain to me .
jyo
Mudium
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:24 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

No, it means that he has a good, high place to view the parade from-- he can see everything.

Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:00 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

Hi Jyo,

In my original answer I used 'you would see' and 'if you were' because this is not a real situation. You are not a bird and so to explain the meaning you have to imagine what it would be like to be a bird and see what is happening on the ground.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

Unless it was a chicken or an emu!

Just me having a fun day ......
HamburgEnglish
I'm here quite often ;-)

a bird looking down #7 (permalink) Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:54 am   a bird looking down

Alan wrote:

Hello Teacher..
What is the name of this sentence (a bird looking down). As far as I know, it doesn't have a verb. Sorry for my ignorance. ;)
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'bird's eye view' #8 (permalink) Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 am   Meaning of 'bird's eye view'

'Looking down' is a nonfinite clause: A bird [that is] looking down. It is acting as an adjective modifying 'bird'. 'Bird' is the object of the preposition 'like'.

Difference between time and duration | A 10 item or less lane?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the meaning of hibernate?'The boys are really' vs 'The boys being really'Every since that kid was murdered...No parrots on Google?Goods as a noun?me vs. myselfneed some help in finding useful textbookshave or must?Meaning of "Breathe one's last"Seriously, shouldn't it be THEIR for everybody, anybody, nobody?Anyone should take her vacation through Rocky Mountains?Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?double past tense?