flammable liquid mixture derived from petroleum (used as fuel, etc.)
periodical
agency
gasoline
dependent

Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

Difference between have been and had been | Meaning: Keep your comments civil and on point.
Verbs require an-ing form in the complement #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 am   Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

Dear all,

In a book, I came a cross that the verb “appreciate” come under the verbs require an-ing form in the complement. But I see many times the use of it as below,

I appreciate very much if you could let me know……..etc..

Can someone kindly explain me the grammatical basis here.

Thank you,

Nakamura
Nakamura

Verbs require an-ing form in the complement #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:19 am   Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

You need an object after 'appreciate'. Here are some examples:

I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know ...

I appreciate it when you let me use your computer ...

I appreciate your helping me with my work ...

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Verbs require an-ing form in the complement #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 am   Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

Thank you very much Alan,

I appreciate your helping me in this regard.

As you given me in the first two examples, there are no –ing form following the “appreciate” in each but only the third one.

Dose that means it is not essential always using –ing complement in the sentence after such verbs.

Have I missed something when learning this “verbs require an-ing form in the complement”…?

Thank you

Nakamura
Nakamura

Verbs require an-ing form in the complement #4 (permalink) Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:14 pm   Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

You are quite right that 'appreciate' needs a verb in the -ing form to follow it or a simple object. The following verb is really equivalent to an object.

_________________

Verbs require an-ing form in the complement #5 (permalink) Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm   Verbs require an-ing form in the complement

Thank you very much Alan,

I am a postgraduate student trying to improve my scientific writing. I got a book in particular but the content has more weight on scientific points rather to grammar. Now I am following the TOEFL 11th edition :(big book) to improve my grammar knowledge.

There I found many verbs, like admit, appreciate, avoid, complete, consider, delay, deny… for verbs that require -ing form in the complement,

Also, …….approve of, be better off, cant help, count on..etc..,for verb phrases that require -ing form in the complement,

Unfortunately, there is no detail for the usage of those other than few examples.
Can you recommend me any other book or a web source in this forum to get more details on such points?

Thank you very much

Nakamura
Nakamura

Phrase: I have to transfer to his room because we use parallel telephone.Expressuion: Already hereShe is asking me for the loan of my car. vs She is asking me the loan of my car.Misrelated participleTo have or to be? (Around my house IS/HAS a very beautiful garden)Embarrassing but funny situation!Usage of "potential buyers"Usage of 'knows better' (I think I shouldn't go hiking but Grace tells me I...)Essay: When I was nine years old on Christmas break, I never would have...He went running to the park. vs He went to the park running.What's the difference between 'open ended tickets’ and 'open return tickets'?French words (fait accompli, coup d'etat, connoisseur, etc...)Many a times