to sign over property to a creditor as security for money that is owed; to obligate
mortgage
perpetuate
lock
talk

specialty vs. speciality

intend sth. to be / intend as | Why 'equal' in sentence: All men are created equal?
specialty vs. speciality #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 am   specialty vs. speciality

Is there any difference between speciality and specialty or are they just different spellings of the same word?

TOEIC short conversations: Two exhibition company co-workers discuss logistics of upcoming trade show.

specialty vs. speciality #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 am   specialty vs. speciality

Hi Torsten!

I think there is no difference in meaning- just two different spellings.

Regards
Iraqi

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
specialty vs. speciality #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:16 am   specialty vs. speciality

Hi Torsten,

Speciality is something general, and specialty is more specific. Eg: He is an Engineer, the specialty in Piping.

I just try to answer from my point of view, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds,
Saras
Saras

specialty vs. speciality #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 02, 2009 22:52 pm   specialty vs. speciality

I looked up my extra thick Oxford dictionary, and it said "speciality"="specialty".

Natasha.
Natasha81

Location: Sydney, Australia

specialty vs. speciality #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am   specialty vs. speciality

This means that your Mr. Thick dictionary agrees with Mr. Me. It is a great honor for 'him'. :-)
Iraqi

specialty vs. speciality #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:52 am   specialty vs. speciality

EXACTLY RIGHT:)
Natasha81

Location: Sydney, Australia

specialty vs. speciality #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:43 am   specialty vs. speciality

Hi Dear Torsten,
"Specialty" is used in American English,but "Speciality" in British English.
Surprisingly,those plural forms are the same:"Specialities".
Morteza
Morteza

Location: Iran

specialty vs. speciality #8 (permalink) Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 am   specialty vs. speciality

In the US it's "specialty" and "specialties" is the plural form.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

specialty vs. speciality #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am   specialty vs. speciality

Yes, I also think that both are having the same meaning, 'the area of expertise'. The first is British English and other is American English.

Have a good day.

Reji.
Rejidaniel03

specialty vs. speciality #10 (permalink) Sat Jul 04, 2009 13:10 pm   specialty vs. speciality

.
I agree with Prezbucky. In the US, the word "specialty" is normally the version of that word that is used. And the plural form of "specialty" is "specialties".

I associate the use of the word "speciality" with British English.

_____________________________
"Writing headlines is a specialty - there are outstanding writers who will tell you they couldn't write a headline to save their lives." ~ Bill Walsh
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

specialty vs. speciality #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:03 pm   specialty vs. speciality

I will go further. "Specialty" is used in American English, and "speciality" is more common in British English.

If you say "speciality" in North America, you will sound like a circus ringmaster.

'such' vs 'so' vs 'such a' vs 'such the'"fabricate" vs "marshal"in case one of the member/members, team may/might still suffer/suffersGramatically correct? - Dear Mr. Eisenstadt, I am writing to inform you of the...Your fruitful answers and advises made me confident that I can improve my EnglishI will go to estate agent John and talk about the land stuffCan we use "many" or the like instead?was + infinitive (No one was to blame)reporting an electronic problem.Which of the following to be clicked or ticked? (Block pop up window)Abbreviation of "example"Construction: One cannot have too many friends like you!Why some students unable to use grammatical structure in daily life?